Fat finger by groove tubes or fender ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by growlbass, Oct 30, 2004.

1. growlbass

Oct 26, 2004
    vancouver bc
    has or does anyone use the sustain thing that clips on the head of the bass. billy sheehan uses one i think .
    heard they are good for sustain and improving tonality.
    any thoughts ?

2. I have never used one myself, but I have heard that they are good at reducing the effect of any deadspots that there may be on a bass. Possibly more useful in a studio setting where things have to be perfect than your average gig.

3. bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i am interested in this too. i have a cheap fretless bass and there is a deadspot that spoils all the fun... :scowl:
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one. It works well for getting rid of dead spots. It does seem to increase sustain a little too.
  5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Fat Finger is made by Groove Tubes.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've never tried one, but I seem to remember reading a review somewhere (Bass Player, perhaps?) of the Fat Finger, and the results were in line with the above comments: moderate improvement in sustain and helped with dead spots.
  7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    All of my Fenders now sport a Fat Finger. I believe they really do make a difference. And, you can get different results depending upon where you put it on the headstock. And. . . . .people always want to know what that thing on your bass is!
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I see Fat Fingers can be ordered in brass or chrome. Any difference between the two aside from appearance?
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, they kinda sorta work. I used to use one on an old Stingray, that had a horrible dead spot in the usual place (C position on the G string). The Fat Finger definitely mitigated the deadness, but didn't remove it entirely. It did, however, make the difference between a completely unusable bass, and one that I could get away with using if I was careful. Don't expect a miracle cure, just a partially effective treatment.

In general, heavier basses will have better sustain. That's one reason why all those Alembics are so heavy (or at least the good ones are). They put these big old brass blocks down around the bridge, which adds even more weight to an already heavy instrument, but the sustain is amazing. Would I ever "need" that kind of sustain? Probably not. It's nice to know it's available though. :)
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Does anyone store their bass with the Fatfinger clamped on, or do you remove it? I'm worried about potential damage storing my bass in a gig bag with the FF attached.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i remember groove tubes making a big brass plate device called the fathead which attached to the back of your headstock (had to be ordered according to shape) and even came with extra long screws for reattaching the tuning machines.
  12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I always removed mine because it only takes a second, but I doubt if you would get any damage from it if you left it on.
  13. donut

Jan 27, 2004
    Does anyone know where to get one in UK\Europe? I've been thinking about getting one but I can't find anywhere that sells them.
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Search in the setup forum on these. A TB'er got pretty great results in an alternative to fat fingers that isn't visually obtrusive, they're a lot lighter, and a LOT cheaper.
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  16. donut

Try Alex or Martin at The Bass Gallery in Camden Town, London.

Website www.thebassgallery.com for the phone number, although the fat finger is not on their website.

17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Visit Musician's Friend on the Net.
  18. donut

Jan 27, 2004
    Thanks very much - I'll get onto them right away! :)