1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fat, Flat chromes in extra-long?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by billoetjen, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Now I'm mad! :scowl:

Found exactly (for now, anyway) the perfect strings for my style and sound. :hyper:
    Daddario medium flatwound chromes (ECB82's) have just the right balance of fundamental, attack, and sizzle.
    But they don't come in super-long to go through-body on my fretless. :crying:

Think anyone else would be interested in stocking their 4 string with these? Hhmmmm? :ninja:
    Here's where you can write to try to convince Daddario to tool up a production run:

CR-Fretted@DADDARIO.com

Have at it!
    :help:
    Bill

2. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Awile back I was involved in a project and had to use Flatwound Strings. I wanted to use my 1997 Fender Precision Bass and it only strings through the body. I used the D'Addadrio Chromes 50-105. The silk did not clear the nut so I used a razor knife and trimmed some of the silk off and the strings worked fine. I still have them on and have had no trouble at all.

3. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Not sure if he still stocks them but he offers D'Addario's on his site. I own one of his AEB-2 custom scrollheads and they came with an extra set of super-long D'Addario chrome flats. Give him a call.

http://www.xstrange.com/strings.html

4. Whoa, those scrollheads look very tasty. Great design elements and craftsmanship! How does yours sound/play?

David, about the wrappings - I sacrificed a couple of strings from an old set of ECB81's and trimmed back the wraps and tried them. I noticed that when I put them through the body, the string tapers pretty noticeably between the nut and the first fret. Shouldn't affect the tone/intonation because I (almost) never play an open string. But it looks funny, so I'm not likely to use them that way.
    If only Daddario knew how many thousands of us are looking for that diameter and length.
    Anyway, I put a set of TI JF344 through the body and I've been giving them a chance to prove themselves. Pretty damn good. I raised the action because they had more of that "mwah" thing than I prefer. (A little goes a long way) All in all an exquisite tonal marriage for the Villex pups and Carvin LS1503a that I use with this fretless.
    Thanks for the information,
    Bill

5. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
    Are the TI's long enough to string throuh the body without having to modify them or have them taper off too early???

6. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliment Bill, besides it's obvious unusual appearance, the instrument "speaks" for itself. See my review:

http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1278/sl/b

-GiL

7. P-BASSLOVER

P-BASSLOVER

Oct 10, 2008
    USA
    juststrings.com carries superlongs. I have a regular long set on my Squire Vintage Modified 70's P-Bass TB, strung through body and the windings on the E and A sit in the nut, but it hasn't caused no sound or intonation problems.

8. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    I have a 77 Gibson fretless and it's a 34.5 inch scale with a string through body that will probably add another half to three quaters inch length to keep the silk on the other side of the nut. Will give me Strange a call and see what he recommends. Thanks.

9. Thanks for the question.
    For some reason, the TI's are plenty long enough. No problem. And I like them through the body. I just wish they had more tension under my fingers.

10. jbassplayer

jbassplayer

Jul 30, 2008
    Thanks a lot!!!:)