1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fat Fuzz Factory or Woolly Mammoth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazznrick, Dec 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. I have sold my fuzzes and am in the market for a new one. What is the difference between the ZVEX Fat Fuzz Factory and the Woolly Mammoth? What is your preference? Thanks-Jonny

2. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Both can do gated sounds but that's pretty much where the similarities end, imo. I like them both but the Fuzz Factory has a very bright top end that I ultimately couldn't live with.

The Woolly Mammoth sounds at its best when doing gated sounds and has a synthy fuzz tone.

The Fat Fuzz Factory can do a lot of different sounds from intermodulating motorboat tones to screechy wails. It's really a lot of fun. Many settings are really crazy, but the gate and compressor controls can beef it up and reign it in. Would be among my favorite fuzzes if the top end wasn't so harsh.

I do think the Mammoth is one of the better gated fuzz pedals around though even if it doesn't do much else, for me.

jazznrick likes this.
  3. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    I should add, if you didn't know, Zvex offers a Vexter version of the Woolly Mammoth now, if you want to save some money and don't care about the hand painted art. The Mammoth costs a premium due to an old royalty arrangement between Zvex and the pedal designer, so all of the versions are on the pricy side, but on the other hand I really like mine so it was worth it for me.

jazznrick likes this.
  4. Interesting that this came up today, as i'm thinking of getting a fat fuzz factory.
    Would you say the bottom is good enough for bass with it?
    I use the wooly sometimes for gated fuzz but think it actually is a little too heavy on the bottom.

Mingus Addict likes this.
  5. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    There are plenty of settings that hold the lows on the Fat Fuzz Factory. Overall finding a balance between dialing in enough "beef" and the spiky top end is a little hard but it is doable. Depends on your ears really, I think it's a good pedal but ultimately didn't work for me.

So far my hands down favorite self oscillating fuzz is the LAL 88 Super Oscillo Fuzz, especially if you can spare an expression pedal for it for tuning/damping the oscillations.

Mr. voodoobass likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021