Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fat, growly nickel rounds with mellow highs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bino, Jun 12, 2005.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Any such thing? Guess I just like the sound of broken-in strings. What settles into that role quickest and stays the longest?

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    d'addario xl's have usually come through the best for me. they're not too bright to start, but they don't go dead quickly either. the highs are usually reasonable tone, the mids are great, and the bottom is solid.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys might do it for you. They're cheap ($18 at GC, IIRC) too.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'll second that.

I'll also suggest DR High Beams. I don't know if they're nickel... and they're really bright at first. But after a little bit of wearing in, they sound nice and mellow while still retaining some good growl.

5. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I've been wondering this as well to give me P-bass a little bit of a different feel.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use D'addarios because they're the cheapest you can get, but I've had success with Ernie Balls, GHS Boomers, and Dean Markleys. For my money, they all mellow out at about the same rate and hold it about the same.

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I used to use D'Addarios but I found they go dead pretty fast compared to Elite Nickel Player Series. The Elites have that big fat nickel sound and just keep it for ages. I had my last set on for over a year and they just didn't go dead, I was recording with them regularly and always got complimented on my tone.

8. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Seems like I've seen the Elite strings mentioned before and thought maybe I'd like to try them. So far though, I haven't been able to find a source for them in the US. Does anyone know where I can order them, or what strings are closest that are commonly available in the US?

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Try D'daddario 1/2 rounds. Round like sound without as much raspy string noise.

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm trying out a set of Fender pure nickels that I forgot I had and really liking them so far. E string is very clear. I may try the Sunbeams or D 1/2 rounds next just to compare. Thanks all.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    yeah I was surprised at how I liked the Fender nickels. I didn;t leave them on long enough to see how they aged tho. I replaced them with Sadowsky nickel and am very pleased. Much better particularly in the mids than the DR Lorider nickels I had used for a long time. The Elixir are very nice in my opinion. I had used them for a few years too.

12. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    you lucky dog, are those Sad. bright nickels all everyone says? Are they indeed bright? I actually have a 5-string set that I picked up just about the time I sold my last fiver. But I'm back to a B-string again and was debating whether to use 'em or trade 'em. It currently has some type of DRs and they're fine but aren't really doing it for me and they seem a bit stiff.

13. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    bino, I think if you find the DRs stiff, you'll probably also find the Sadowsky's stiff. I think they are similar in that department. But they're not overly stiff IMO. I rather like that, since I'm used to playing stiff flats. I like a decent amount of resistance in a string. As far as brightness I had a set on for maybe 2 months before it mellowed out. Possibly would mellow out faster in hot humid gigs. If you really want bright, probably should go with SS. Check the BP stinrg shootout for a comparison-

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=4037

14. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Actually, bright is not what I'm after. I originally bought them to liven up a dark bass. I'm trying to avoid "zing".

15. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    oh, OK on the brightness. It can be subjective. I like just enough brightness to add a little cut, but I really hate zing. I can cut back the treble on my jazz bass so that the Sads give me what I want. I'm using old school gear, playing classic rock, so it works for me. What I found with some other rounds is they give a plinky sharpness, but no balls. That sounds fine I guess if you're soloing or if you're playing low volumes, but at the higher volumes my band plays, with keys and loud guitar, I have to have some grunt. I have found that my jazz can give me that with the Sads, and even with Fenders, Elixir, and some DRs (of course the SVT helps alot too). For big grunt, though, I reach for the Precision with Labella flats.

16. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    sounds like I'm after the same thing and on the right track. thanks for your views.

17. what about the rotosound RS66's? ive never used them myself but suposedly they give that sort of sound as well

i mean come on if jaco used them... :rolleyes: