1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fat guy playing bass?? Best position?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bigthemat, Apr 18, 2009.

1. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    Hey all,

recently got my hands on a real bass. As the title suggests, I am a big guy. Playing bass guitar has never been a problem, just strap it on and go at it. But playing around on the big boy, I've yet to find a comfortable stance that accommodates my big gut. I tried searching but had no luck.

So, if there are any fellow big guys out there, what are some good tips? A secret stance I don't know about?

Thanks

2. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    how long have you been playing for? it can take a while to get used to. ive played bass through several stages of weight and gut or nay its just a matter of getting used to holding it.

3. hey in a big guy as well what i do i lean the bass in pretty hard and just have the endpin up higher so that the nut is still up around your eyebrow/forehead. it does take some time to find the right hight and angle though

4. I think gut strings might make it easier...:bag:

5. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    string%20bass%20ad%20mr%20miller.
    small pic: wrong
    big pic: ok

6. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    When I started playing upright, my first lesson was about holding the bass. The idea is to have the top rib of the instrument against your body, the inside of your left knee against the back part of the lower rib corner and weight distributed evenly on both legs.

I remember struggling with this at first until I got the balance, and have been able to essentially balance the bass against my body/legs without the use of my hands. I also remember my teacher telling me I'd have an easier go at if I had a bigger gut! Part of his instruction for me for that week was to eat more baklava. Lol.

7. Jimmythebassist

Jimmythebassist

Feb 6, 2009
    I am a large guy myself I have been playing for 12 years and all I can tell you is this. Lean one side of the bass against your body. Have the peg longer than typical. (This is due to your large gut) you will have to lean the bass more than usual. To reach the bridge all I can tell you is stretch out the arms to reach. I f you cant (arms to short for instance) you might just need to get an electric upright. (which is what I use.) It has literally no body. So when you lean it against your gut it should be perfect.