Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FAT MIKE

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Jul 26, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I want peoples opinion on Fat mike from NoFx. I personally think hes great an excellent front man, and has some really cool quick bass lines for example bob and dinosaurs will die there are some quick fills. Just because hes fingers arnt flying around the neck like some people doesnt mean hes crap and I bet they couldnt play the easy stuff and sing and put on a great show at the same time.

2. Fat Mike is a great bassist because he plays what is appropriate for whatever style NOFX is going for.

He really is a talented individual and does know his stuff, he rarely shows it though.

3. Fat Mike is awesome. "Dinosaurs Will Die" is one of my favorites, as well as "Idiots Are Taking Over". He sings lead while playing super-complicated bass lines on a Danelectro, which is not the easiest bass to play. And, don't forget his great work with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Fat Mike was a huge influence on my decision to play bass, and also to use a pick.

Bath of Least Resistance is one of my favorite warm-up/soundcheck tunes. Also, when dialing in OD, I always play Lower to see if I got the tone right. :D

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I read somewhere that his danelectro bass doesnt have a real bridge and he cant intonate it at all. now surely that takes some skill to play a bass thats intonation is completely out lol. Im just listening to The Brews, I think his voice in this is just fits the song to a tee, well his voice fits the style to a Tee. I think in punk these days he has the best punk voice.

6. Thats one thing alot of people dont understand, he's a great bassist and knows how to restrain himself so it doesnt dominate and make the band sound crap, like what happens in ALOT of rancid songs with matt freeman

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I guess he's a pretty decent player for that style. He signed my old high school buddies the Mad Caddies - hehe.

8. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    fat mike is awesome th e intro in sticking my eye rocks!

9. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    Mike has been a good solid player for a long time. I remember the days of paying $5 to see them do their thing. He awed them back then too.

10. PunkBasser

PunkBasser

Dec 24, 2006
    I'm quite shocked. I had no idea he was also the bassist. I've listened to NOFX for many years and although I've always thought the basslines very simple, I can understand it now.

11. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I love Fat Mikes bass playing. Matt Freeman is the god of punk bassists, by the way.

12. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    btw anybody knows what bass is using fat mike in this video

i think is a red p bass with lots of stickers in it but i am not sure beacuse the headstock looks a little bit weird in 1:21 maybe is a custom but tell me what you think

13. I honestly saw that video years ago and could never tell thought it was just an old beaten up low brand bass, but fat mike does have a style that has alot to it , hes not goin to shred because thats not the music and hes definatly not gonna solo but alot of his stuff he plays a steady groove needed to support the song so hes good in my books

14. I'm pretty sure it's a G&L bass

Dan

15. i totally agree. the dude from rancid 'over does it' some times.
    i think fat mike is great.
    the decline is a great example of clever bass lines and great skill.

16. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Fat Mike is a great musician/song writer.

17. yeah Fat Mike is a great bassist and I guess way more talented than we know.

I saw them live earlier in the year in Wellington New Zealand/ A great show and you could see that although he had his leg in a cast he was totally rocking the show.

I was a wee bit dissapointed though as towards the end of the show he was getting a bit too drunk and started slurring words etc. He got so bad that he actually peed his pants on stage and had to be carried off by one of the security guards. The rest of the band looked almost like they were annoyed at him or embarrassed but I'm not sure.

But he still kicked ass and played really well, even when he was really drunk!

18. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Like what songs from rancid? I know a few, and I think the bass fits well, its actually the best in the band IMO.

19. Yeah. It's a G&L. Hard to tell which one since all those damn stickers are white and as well as his knobs and pickup covers. I think I only see one P-style pickup, so it's probably either an LB-100 or a later SB-1. Might be a later SB-2 but it's hard to see whether there's a jazz pickup on it.

20. Lemonbelly

Lemonbelly

May 6, 2008
    Fat Mike is ace, especially stuff like "idiots are taking over" and his playing on "seeing double at the triple rock" is pretty solid.
    Matt Freeman is also amazing, I don't think he over does it though. He just akes a lot of the melody parts when the guitars don't do much, and you can't say "maxwell murders" isn't a great song for bass players.
    Also does anyone know who makes the custom basses and guitars for me first and the gimme gimmes ?