fat mikes bass settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkbythebook, Jun 21, 2001.

1. does anyone know the settings(or close to) the settings mike from nofx uses..thanks
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Well, he uses a P-Bass, but you probably already know that. If your bass has two pickups, then use only then neck one. Turn down the mids a bit and turn up the highs. oh yeah, and welcome to talkbass.
  3. The lastest issue of bass player shows him plaing a danelectro and welcome to talk bass
  4. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    yeah he does use a danelectro

about his settings:

i would turn off all the mid on your amp and turn the highs and lows all the way up and then have the tone on your bass all the way up. if you have a j-pickup at the bridge of your bass use that one and turn the neck pickup all the way down.

thats what i do and its sounds good.
  5. when i saw him playing with the gimmie gimmies, it didnt sound like his nofx sound as much, but then again, could have just been the danno. It sounded like there were mid's present though, not a ton, but they were there. He was using an Ampeg All tube head, and a 8x10. Also, just a side note, fat mike says that soon all punk rockers around the world will begin using the danno's, simply because of him.
  6. the tone knob is dimed, and do the frown instead of a smiley on your amp. just whatever you can do to make alot of treble.
  7. high mids are the way he's producing that sound it's set really bright, my Ampeg can do that. but don't get a Dan electro their pretty ugly and the bodies are too clumbsy (by my opinion). I think you should go with any passive bass to produce that sound, hell I'de get an Ibanez GSR they are very easy to play I have some of thier actives, my favorite is my EDC705.
  8. Tomluther

Oct 24, 2010
    Anybody know what amp he uses?
  9. morganmcd

Aug 30, 2010
    Canberra ACT
    Pretty sure he uses a Bass 400 or an SVT...
  10. It sounds like he changes his strings pretty regularly too. I love the tone on "Olive Me" BTW.
  11. Plus one on the Olive Me. Ive moved on from having a super twangy scooped bass tone, but I still like hearing it!

Think he uses all Ampeg rigs...no idea what basses he records with. Ps and Js Im guessing.
  12. Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    Did this thread really start almost 10 yrs ago?

13. El Hefe

El Hefe

Feb 6, 2012
    12 years ago now.
  14. Is that really el hefe? My old post is still there :)