1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fat, Smooth tone, any effects to create this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Callum27, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    I'm looking for a really fat warm smooth tone. Think Kelly Rowland - Stole

Currently I run a Fender MIM Jazz through a Sansmap BDDI and a Peavey TNT 115. It's a nice sound but not fat and warm enough. Is there anything I can look for in effects to give me a huge fat wam tone like the one in the song. (I'm a huge effects fan by the way)

Thanks

Callum

2. Maybe it's just the low quality of sound in youtube vids but to me it sounds like a synth sub bass.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would use flats, a "soft" plucking technique, and use an EQ to boost the low mids.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've owned that amp before. It's a good amp, but IMO fat and warm is kind of a hard tone to achieve on that amp. I have achieved some interesting tones when I've cranked that amp full volume. Fat and warm wouldn't exactly be how I would describe it though.

EDIT: It's funny Tom Bowlus and I were talking about this amp at NAMM. This is the amp with the built in chorus effect right?

5. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
  6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    AFAIK, there's no chorus on either the TKO or TNT 115. And I double-checked, too - I don't see anything on the front panel for such an effect.

But yeah, I'm with Maki regarding the amp's tone - that's probably what's holding you back. Pedals can't really "fix" that.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've always been surprised at how much a SABDDI can help a "cold" amp. Try the "Fat Tube" setting in the manual and tweak the setings a bit from there - both on your amp and the SABDDI. Picking closer to the neck will fatten your sound up, too. Also, more neck pup, less bridge pup.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think I could get in the neighborhood of that tone with your gear ... plucking up between the neck pickup and fingerboard edge is key, as is messing around with the bass driver to get it dialed in.

Try presence down really low or off, bass noon or 1 o'clock, treble 11 o'clock, drive noon, then mess with the blend to find the sweet spot between blurry/nasty and dry/boring. Roll off the volume on the bridge pickup until you hear those barky neck pickup mids start to come out (maybe even use just the neck pickup) ... then kick in the bass driver to smooth them back out ... I think this tone is in there somewhere :D

As for effects, the only one that could possibly help would be a compressor ... but its really more of a touch and EQ thing.

9. You can try the Aphex Big Bottom/Aural Xiter, BB compresses the low end and adds low frequencies.

10. I'd try and get the sound with headphones first- your bass, compressor and an EQ. It is a synth bass on that track but there's no reason why you couldn't pull a similar tone.

Most of the punch is coming off the kick. You can hear on the filler notes there's almost no attack at all and a heap of sustain. A/B it with this which is a pretty clean but fattish sounding Jazz.

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 to flats and Aural Exciters/Sonic Maximizers.

Otherwise rolling the tone most of the way dark is a great start, as is using mainly the bridge pup and playing near the neck (+1's for those too).

12. bassman251

bassman251

Jan 30, 2007
    The Sansmap BDDI he has does add a slight compression to the sound already.

13. Callum27

Callum27

Aug 12, 2007
    berkshire, uk
    Does anyone use a boss GEB-7 after the sansamp, just to finish it off and smooth the tone a little?

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I wouldn't describe the GEB-7 as a tool for "smoothing" or "finishing" a sound. It's a plain EQ, it boosts or cuts different frequencies but does not do anything else especially flattering to the sound.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think Maki and I both owned the older version of that amp (with blue and white graphics, I believe), and it had a built-in chorus with a one-knob control, and an on/off button (which could also be triggered via a footpedal). It clearly said 'Chorus', so if you have it, it should be apparent.

I'd agree that it's not the best amp for fat, warm, and smooth. But, try running a Squire VM Precision/Telecaster through it. That bass is all about fat, smooth, warm tone. :cool:

Tom.

16. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pppffffttt. What do you know about gear, huh?

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Sigged. :D

Now, if you excuse me, I'm just going to step out of the room while Tom proceeds to flood the thread with photos of just ONE of his storage rooms filled with gear.

You may want to disable image loading on your browser if you value your precious bandwidth. Tom's gear shots will be using all of it. :bag:

18. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Kind-of hard to hear in that mix, but I'd start with:
    • Neck pickup.
    • Volume at about 70% at the bass to get rid of any "drive" or "growl".
    • Finger pluck between neck and neck pickup.
    • Pluck softly to avoid initial harsh transient and maximize sustain.
    • Roll-off the highs.
    The strings sound round-wound to me, but it is really hard to tell in that mix (and the compression of the audio - sounded like 8-bit!).

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, I can occasionally show restraint. :D

20. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    I would consider the MXR 10 band eq pedal. A new amp wouldn't hurt.:)