Fat Sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bcarll, May 24, 2002.

1. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Ok so you all believe strings make the difference in sound --- how do you achieve that deep bass sound found in music of the Motown era. I have never changed strings on my bass but need to and I want that deep growling sound and need to get away from the more higher tones I seem to have now. Also how much influence does the quality of your instrument and amp have on that sound. This may sound like a "give me" but wouldn't you say that all the advice on strings isn't going to help some one that plays on a cheap instrument through a 5 watt amp. I would assume that all these features or lack of contribute to the quality of sound in the end.

All this interest in strings has come after reading the James Jamerson story and listening to the Motown sound that he contributed to as "the" bass player. What a sound but I can't seem to capture that fat bass sound I hear in so many recordings. Help if you can with your comments.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Motown Sound = Jamerson = Labella Deep Talkin' Bass Flatwounds, they come in a James Jamerson Gauge which I believe are extremely large gauge and high tension.
  3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You bring up many points, and I'll try to answer at least some. With your bass and amp (assuming it's still a GSR200 and Crate BFX50), you should be able to get a deep, thumpy tone like you are looking for. Jamerson used flatwounds, but you don't necessarily have to. If you use the P pup in your bass, roll the tone knob back, keep the treble flat or slightly cut on your amp, and boost the low and low-mid a little. If you really want it as thumpy as possible, I would recommend Labella or Fender flatwounds (yep, strings).

In response to another of your statements, it's probably true that a guy playing a cheap bass through a five-watt amp won't sound great with any strings (although maybe he'll sound good at really low volumes), but that's not the point. The point is that all else being equal, strings can make a big difference.