1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fat string daydreams

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 12, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Is is just me or has playing bass ruined almost everything else for other people. Here I am earning my daily wage and I can't stop day dreaming about making music with my friends. :help:
    I've been a muciscian for 20 years but since I have started playing bass six month ago it's all I can think of. I'm thinking about how sweet the sound was last weekend when I put the foam under the bridge and used my pick. The feeling of the deep tone resonating through my body. Catching the chorus just right, leading the charge as I pumped up the volume and intensity. Etc, etc, etc ...
    Does it ever go away?
    Well at least I haven't been hit with G.A.S, yet. I'm happy with what I have so far. So far :eyebrow:

2. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sixty three people have read this and no one has replied. I guess I am the only one with this problem. Either that or this is a really boring post (please don't respond to that) :)

3. It's horrible!!!

....just kidding. :)

It comes and goes for me now. When I first started, however, I had a solid 7 or 8 years of being obsessed with playing. Not being able to sleep, getting up at 3am to record that new riff really quick so I could try again to crash because I had to be at work in 3hrs...not being able to hang out with friends because in the middle of a conversation my mind would come up with some awesome new intro and I'd feel like I was wasting my time when I did anything other than play. It was bad, and caused me to sever almost every social tie I had outside of shows/practice (and women...it takes a special breed to put up with that).

Nowadays I find myself getting excited about shows, and sometimes practice, but I'm able to quiet my mind and not let practicing/creating take over my life. YMMV, but for me it was like having the best illness in the world, and slowly recovering over time. :)