Fat strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThePaste, Dec 26, 2000.

1. Who else just has a massive internal craving for HUGE strings? I do! I don't know why either, I just do. I wish I had a nut big enough to accomidate a 85-105-130-150 set or something equally MASSIVE.

Your thoughts?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The fattest ones I've tried so far are the Steve Harris flatwounds from Rotosound. Wait, I guess that's not true, because I've also used La Bella tapewounds that run .060-.070-.094-.115. That's pretty fat. The tapes also have a fat sound, but the SH flats didn't, at least on my Precision. The tapewounds are kind of low tension, but the big flatwounds certainly aren't. I may try the Jamerson set at some point, they run .052-.110. Ernie Ball makes a roundwound set that runs .055-.110. That's pretty heavy. The Rotosound tapes start at .065 which is a really big G string.

I like 'em kind of big and high-tension. I use flatwounds on my Precision, but the Steve Harris flats really didn't sound that great to me. So fat strings and fat sound don't always go together. But I do like the look and feel of big flatwounds. Your neck might not like them too much, though. I tried the Steve Harris flatwounds on two basses, my Precision coped with the tension easily, but the other bass seemed pretty unhappy about the idea. However, .045-.105 DR Lo-Riders work fine on it.