Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fat strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThePaste, Dec 26, 2000.

1. Who else just has a massive internal craving for HUGE strings? I do! I don't know why either, I just do. I wish I had a nut big enough to accomidate a 85-105-130-150 set or something equally MASSIVE.

Your thoughts?

-Andrew

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The fattest ones I've tried so far are the Steve Harris flatwounds from Rotosound. Wait, I guess that's not true, because I've also used La Bella tapewounds that run .060-.070-.094-.115. That's pretty fat. The tapes also have a fat sound, but the SH flats didn't, at least on my Precision. The tapewounds are kind of low tension, but the big flatwounds certainly aren't. I may try the Jamerson set at some point, they run .052-.110. Ernie Ball makes a roundwound set that runs .055-.110. That's pretty heavy. The Rotosound tapes start at .065 which is a really big G string.

I like 'em kind of big and high-tension. I use flatwounds on my Precision, but the Steve Harris flats really didn't sound that great to me. So fat strings and fat sound don't always go together. But I do like the look and feel of big flatwounds. Your neck might not like them too much, though. I tried the Steve Harris flatwounds on two basses, my Precision coped with the tension easily, but the other bass seemed pretty unhappy about the idea. However, .045-.105 DR Lo-Riders work fine on it.