Fat vs. thiny fingers ???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by funkNstein, Jan 17, 2005.

1. funkNstein

Jan 10, 2005
    First please don't get angry if i use some wrong words or terms , i am just a balkan-boy.

So , i recognized that people with a lot of pounds have a lot of meat on their fingers , and that i like how basses sound better (for me) when they plug the string.

I also recognized that i am not one of them :crying:

So I started to think about this mysterious rule , if it is a rule .
    Who knows ? Me not !

O.K. hit me if i am wrong :bag: , and push the back button .

If i am right , i maybe have a solution which sure sounds crazy . It goes like this :
    Some have a fat finger .
    I have a thiny one .
    If i use some "lighter" gauge instead 45-125 on my Stingray5, would the string say " Hmm....i am smaller than the string he usually uses , so his fingers are for me wider . If this makes any sense , i should sound better , heavier , fat , just like he wants me to ???"

Please stop laughing after ....about an hour , and hit me with a reply .
    For my defense ia have to say that i am just some balkan-boy , from some small balkan country called Croatia .
    Thanks , and merry christmas ! :confused:
  2. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    It seems to me that your fingers get thicker as you play bass more often. That what i think. :bag:
  3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Yeah, try some lighter strings and see if that helps.

I visited your country last summer when I was visiting Slovenian relatives. Zagreb is a very nice city.
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Well, Billy Sheehan has skinny fingers. So, if you're saying you need fat fingers to play bass your wrong.
  5. Thinner strings might help a little. You don't have to have them, though. Playing closer to the fingerboard will round out your tone, and so will using your thumb. The way you play has a big effect on your tone. Just changing the way your finger plucks the string will change the sound you get. With practice, your tone will improve. Those guys with fat fingers have also been playing for a while.
  6. funkNstein

Jan 10, 2005
    no no , i was just thinking about the tone .
    I know how it sounds when i play with my thumb, but i dont have the superfast thumb from another galaxy :)
  7. xXMunchXx

Jan 16, 2005
    dude my fingers are mediums (thickness), they are long and have a good amount of meat on them and, im not fat.... i realized that once youve played for a while your fingers get stronger and so dose your whole arm. (because i use my arm for playing slap and hard hitting (sounds crazy i know) ) but i actually make it sound good. The point im trying to get accross here is your thickness/skinniness shouldnt be the problem, its your strength and how u play.

And if you work out that will help with your playing alot too.
    just look at FLEE !!!!
  8. funkNstein

Jan 10, 2005
    Yeah...play strong was how i was playing most of the time .
    After 10 years some bad thing happened . My right hand do not want me any longer to play in that style . Maybe some of you have experienced something like me .
    My wrist started to hurt , and it got swallowed. The doc told me to watch out for that problem because it could get serious damaged. So i asked some bassist about that and he told me how to hold my bass , how to use it and so....
    And after all , i had to lower the strings and to learn a completely new style of playing ! I am now in the second month .
    So , watch out to not get hurt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. well... if having fat fingers helps tone... then i must be a tonal freak... (i'm not by the way), but I guess I am lucky to have such huge fat hands when I'm a tall skinny stick of a player...
    Although it always seemed to me that it was harder for people with fat fingers to play as quickly...
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I have been told I have a VERY good finger style tone, my fingers are very fat, but from playing Flute for over 10 years, and marching percussion for over 4 years... I'm not gonna say I'm a great bassist 'cuz I'm really not, but my Finger tone is (not to blow my own horn) very good. My slap is Good too, but different I think thats just my Technique.