Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fateful visit to Nino-Brown (Sadowsky, Warmoth)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Nov 17, 2002.

1. I went to Nino_Brown's place yesterday to trade basses, and came home with an awesome instrument: his transparent blue Warmoth Gecko. It's put together incredibly well, the action, fit and finish are great, the nut work he did is just superb, and the 2 Basslines p-pickups with OBP-1 make an incredible barky sound. (If Nino ever offers you a bass he's built as a trade item, GET IT! He's the man.)

Then I made the horrific mistake of trying his Sadowsky 5-string with EMG J-style pickups and a Sad preamp. HOLY S%^T! I'd never played a Sad before, but this was the "sickest" bass I've ever played. It weighs around 7 pounds, but has DEEP tone anyway; the action is astounding; even turning the knobs is a pleasure -- they move like they're oiled with powdered silk!

Nino even gave me a CD of his band, on which he played the Sad on all four songs. Needless to say, the tone is amazing. Forget about the old "Jazz bass on steroids" cliche -- this was like a _genetically-engineered_ Jazz bass on steroids. . .

Never, ever try a Sadowsky unless you have some gold bullion stashed away somewhere!!!

Or you'll end up checking into a GAS-Rehab clinic somewhere. . .

2. By the way, since Atelier Z's founder is the guy behind Sadowsky Japan, it's worth comparing the Sadowsky to the Atelier Z I traded to Nino (I played them both thru the same rig in the same room).

The Atelier is by no means a "poor man's Sadowsky" -- it's just a totally different instrument. The Atelier has this incredibly ballsy grunt that's like a cross between a Jazz and a Stingray with the bass and treble both boosted. The Sadowsky is much more like Marcus Miller's tone, with maybe even more brightness and clarity from the EMG's.

If you ever get a chance to play an Atelier, do it -- they're uniquely awesome-sounding. I traded mine away because of tight 17 mm string spacing (which is not typical on an Atelier) and the all-black color scheme, which is just not "me". But the sound was 100% THERE! Maybe you've always wanted a bass that sounds like the hybrid offspring of a J and a Music Man?

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    hey, where's the pics of the Gecko? :D That Atelier looks great, if i remember the gecko, it is a pretty sharp looking number as well.... Sounds great that everything worked out for everyone!

P@

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Thanks for the kind words!!!!

So when an I goona see an order @ Sadowksy shop with your name on it? LOL