1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fatfingers and Fatterfingers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gln1955, Jan 4, 2017.

1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Here's the thing. I have a nasty dead spot on one of my Fenders, right at the typical 5th-7th fret of the G-string. I can work around it for most things, but for one song, I need to hit the harmonic on the 7th fret. Right now it's dead as a nit. I tried a C-clamp on the headstock and sure enough, it moved the dead spot enough that I can get a clear ringing harmonic. I'm thinking OK, just buy a Fender Fatfinger and be done with it. What I'm seeing on eBay are Fatfingers for guitars and Fatfingers for basses (different model numbers). The bass model costs a fair amount more than the guitar, even though they look identical in the pictures. Does anyone know if the bass Fatfinger is really heavier than the guitar model, or is it just Fender bilking bass players?

2. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Just rock the c clamp. You can call your band The Clamps.

7dollarbologna and UNICORN BASS like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    They're the same shape but considerably larger.

gln1955 likes this.
  4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks. Hard to see that without them both in the same photo.

5. Yea the bass one is larger.

I have one. It doesn't only move the dead spot, it actually changes the responsiveness of the entire instrument. There's a deadening effect that evens things out but also sucks a bit of the life out of the bass. It won't growl quite as much when you really punch it. It removes the flaw but also mutes the personality.

Having been very far down the dead spot rabbit hole before, what I can say is that anything you do to correct it will have side effects. Changing the resonance of the bass will make it feel and sound different, and it's likely to create issues on notes that used to sound fine. If you're picky like me it can suddenly feel like "...this is not my bass anymore". Just my 2 cents.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Yeah. Next to impossible without either that or some other object in the shot for scale.