Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Father and Son that both play bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Nov 27, 2004.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I have noticed that there are many bassists who are 2nd generation bassists. Gosh I can name at least 5 right off the top of my head:

1. I was in Nashville for 2002 NAMM show and I saw Dave Pomeroy and his son (can't remember his name) both came out and did Boris the spyder, as a tribute to John Entwistle...

2. Jason and Geoff Scheff, the son plays in the band Chicago. and the father used to be Elvis' bassist and later went on to play on The Doors: L.A. Women.

3. David Hood (house recording bassist for Muscle Shoals Recording studio) and his son is the bassist for Drive By Truckers.

4. It was just brought to my attention that Trevor Dunn is the son of the famous Donald "Duck" Dunn.

5. James Jamerson's son is also a bassist...

6. Let's see... Jimmy Garrison (Coltrane's long-time bassist) and his son Matt Garrsion are also both father and son bassist.

Can any of y'all TB'ers think of others? I do know that there must be tons.... I think that there is a father and son bassist duo on TB as well.

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Jaco and Felix Pastorius

3. FYI, Jason Scheff's dad's name is Jerry, and I think Dave Pegg's kid's name is Matt. He's set in with Tull, also.

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Edgar Meyer's father is also a bassist.
    Gary Karr comes from a long line of bassists (I think his grandfather and many uncles were bassists).

LM

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

OK JerryScheff, I knew I had that one wrong.

LM, Edgar Meyer has got to be one of my favorite DB'ers!!!

Aren't there some Father/son TB'ers out there?

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

My dad was an FBI agent and doesn't have a musical bone in his body but I somehow got into music at an early age. I now have a son who plays bass. He's been playing for about two years now. So yes there is at least one father and son combo at TB. I bet there are a few more.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jimmy & Gordon Johnson + their dad.

Trevor Dunn Is Duck's kid?!
    ...ya learn something new everyday around here.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Tom Barney (Steeley Dan) and Tom H. Barney, The original bassist for the saturday night live house band in the mid 70's.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and that reminds me of-
    Jimmy Merrit('60s era Blue Note Records bassist) & son Jymie Merrit(Conan O'Brien Show).

10. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Berry Oakley of the Allman Bros. His son plays as well. (can't remember his name)

11. -John Clayton and his son John Clayton JR.
    -Charlie Haden has at least 2 kids who play bass-son Josh and daughter Rachel.

12. Nah, Abe Jr is a heck of a drummer though. He played on both Abraham's solo cds and he is working with Paul McCartney, what a life.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Whoops, I couldn't remember if the son was a drummer or not. :D

14. Patterson Hood actually plays guitar for that band. They have a three-guitar lineup. The bass player is a woman, and she's married to one of the other guitarists.

15. ...Actually the bass palyer on Conan's show is Mike Merrit...but yes,his father was a bassist...

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I could be mistaken, but didn't Jamerson's dad play DB as well?

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    'Chuck,

Doesn't one of your sons play bass?

jair'j

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's more of a keyboard guy. He piddles around on bass.