1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Father's Day plans - not!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by edpal, Jun 13, 2014.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    My kids and step-kids all contacted my wife, asking what the plan was. She asked me what I wanted. "I'd like them to all stay home". The seven of them range from 20-34. The usual is I drop $150+ to feed and beverage them, bust my tail cleaning the place up before and after, sweat over the grill - and then they want to go to a movie not of my choosing and a few will beg poverty and the wife will flip for their tickets. Actually, I think she flips for ALL their tickets. **** that. A six pack, a steak and maybe a little smoke by myself. I miss my dog, he at least knew how to LOOK attentive.

I know, grumpy.

2. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

The little ingrates. Im going to copy and paste this post in the next "Lets All Worship Our Children Together" thread.

pacojas, fraublugher and edpal like this.
  3. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    tumblr_m4tc8vuNMM1rx4p73o1_400.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Sounds like a great, relaxing day to me! I see we're practically neighbors. I'm in Commerce Twp!

edpal likes this.
  5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    You sir, are my kind of person. I'll probably be doing the same on that same day even though I'm not a father, not even married let alone having a girlfriend.

A six(teen) pack, a steak and smoke...I'm already relaxed.:woot:

6. I agree with your desired wish for Father's Day.

I don't like FD, MD, Valentines Day, blah blah.

Hey kids. Listen the eff up. Treat pops like EVERY day is Father's Day. And dads, treat your kids kind of good also.

fraublugher likes this.
  7. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I have spoiled them apparently. I think it must be cyclical - I was poor growing up so i tried to provide like my dad never could/would(some debate there). Don't know how they all are going to do - they got a great start, maybe too great. My wife laid down similar for Mother's Day, declared she wasn't lifting a finger(other than the middle one conceptually), we would host a shindig if THEY figured out how to bring food and drink - I agreed to do the grilling. I can't wait to look at Facebook to see how the birds are chirping on this one.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    fraublugher and Immigrant like this.
  8. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm all in on that plan. I'm in relatively the same boat, so I'm hoping for a quiet day with the wife only

9. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Hopefully not too quiet.;)

10. I agree. Why not a Basser Day?

11. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    ^I buy my own Basser Day presents.

12. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Bank accounts about to enter the integer system.
    Full shifts all weekend. Band practice wasn't scheduled father's day.
    Monday I might see some daylight. ..

13. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Graduation party for my son Saturday ... peace and quiet Sunday.

14. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I have step kids but my son can be born any day now.My youngest gave me an awesome Father's Day tie made out of paper and crayon.

It was very touching actually he lives with his biological father on the weekends he's five I have potty trained this kid. I am with him week days and before he was in school I watched him during the day.

He came home from school and says "Not Joel I made you a fathers day gift." His dad for like a year only did the bare minimum and just recently decided to get more involved.

I was at a stand still for a moment. I asked if he made one for his dad too and he started to get mad.

As a step parent (depending on the situation) you don't want to stand in the way of the kids relationship with their biological parent. I didn't want to take a gift meant for his dad but even though he's five he has made his own choices and opinions about his life. It's not fair that his dad didn't pay much attention to him and then chooses too all of a sudden be attentive to him.

He sees me as a father figure and brings meaning to my life. It's those seconds that make all the tantrums worth it. That construction paper tie proudly hangs on the fridge.

4StringAxe, Funky Ghost and edpal like this.
  15. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

It's funny how the age makes a difference though. My 30 yo and 28yo... yeah I love em, they can stay where they are :) My 12 year old however, I couldn't imagine the day without her.

16. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Very cool reflection man. The bio dad may feel threatened by the fact you and his ex are having a child together, that will effect his dynamic with his son. Children don't understand their non-custodial parent is always at some disadvantage to being part of their life. That's not an excuse - I said "some" not total.

Sounds like you earned that tie to me.:thumbsup:

17. Funky Ghost

As seen from a different perspective I would say that the child is in a win win. You've been a good influence in his life and by proxy maybe educated his bio pop about how important that is. Better late than never to the parenting party. The boy wins in the end and that's what matters.

BboogieXVII and ImNotJoel like this.
  18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I'm Golden - My wife & I never had kids, so no FD or MD.
    Both sets of parents are dead, so no problem there.

No drama, problems or expectations.

Like I said - I'm Golden

fraublugher likes this.
  19. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    Thanks I appreciate that. As you said his bio dad has some disadvantage that's why I had some hesitance accepting but also as you said it's not an excuse.

If I had less days of custody I would go out of my way to be in their life. Also we do allow the bio dad if he wants to take them on a week day. So he could also be equally in the children's life.

It shouldn't take me and his ex having a child together to have him be involved.

Thanks it is good to hear another perspective I appreciate it.

20. Funky Ghost

I don't know whether to "like" your post or feel bad about it Tangent.

I R cunfuzled

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    tangentmusic likes this.