1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fathers (Hate Em?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by darkfish01, Jun 3, 2007.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    That happened to my mother as well.

As it turned out, she was passing stones in her gallbladder
    so we got that taken care of quick.

The rush to the hospital was hellious, to say the least.

2. I had a pretty good relationship with my dad. I just didn't get to see him enough before he died, since we were miles apart across the country at that point.

Just an observation; being a father now, and having 2 out of three boys in the teenage years, I know that there are physical, and emotional changes effecting my boys, but it's frustrating because they have changed almost overnight to being closed-lipped, moody and locked into their own world. I know that I was probably like that, too, when I was their age, but still, it gets frustrating and I can see how this stage in a father/son relationship can cause rifts due to conflicts. Luckily my boys are great kids and haven't had problems with the drug, alcohol, or "bad crowd" scenes. I'm a lucky father!

All I have to say is that if you fall into the teenage catagory right now, try to think about how you're effecting your relationship with your folks and be a little more communicative with them instead of getting home from school and grunting a very short "hi" as you stomp through the house to your rooms, or what have you. Hopefully your parents will return the attention and things will even out. It's a 2-way street and I hope that both lanes are wide open for you all! Peace!;)

3. aesir6

aesir6

Apr 5, 2006
    odessa texas
    My dad kicks ass. If it werent for him I wouldnt play bass. Hell I wish he would get divorced, mom's just a big pain in our rears anyway.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I had a very good relationship with both of my parents. Every now and then I think about how much I miss them. My father was a disciplinarian but once I was of age we became good friends. That was when I found out what a character he was. Great dad.

My son's mother and I seperated when he was about one year old. Lots of drama about that but our relationship was never less than good and usually great. He just graduated from college a couple of weeks ago. He's a more well-rounded musician than me, plays sax, bass, keys, writes and produces, etc. (I just play bass). Goes on gigs with me when he's home, has the same bent sense of humor as me, he's been a real gift. Couldn't be more proud of him.

I've been remarried for 19 years and we all get along great. I wish that for everyone.

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Mine died in January, sad to say, but it was a relief. Our relationship was not pretty, to say the least. But, I'm lucky enough to have had a rockin' step dad.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I've never had a very strong relationship with my dad. I feel uncomfortable around him, like he's a stranger. We've never shared any common interests, or done anything cool together. Lately, he's taken to barking at me for never talking to him when he's around (he has irregular hours: home till noon, then gone when I get back from school), but I have nothing to talk to him about. I blame both of us on that one: when I was growing up, I was pretty much taught to keep my mouth shut and never talk to him, as he was busy. The only time he would ever go out of his way to talk to me was when I'd misbehaved or something, so it's kind of an instinct now to avoid him. I feel bad, because he is a pretty cool guy, but there's no way I can think of to connect. What really makes me feel terrible is when I have friends of mine around. He always strikes up conversations about cars and sports and stuff (most of my firends are athletic motorheads, and I'm neither) and will talk to them jovially for hours. I've never done this.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You should talk to him and say exactly what you said here.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Maybe he felt like you were attacking him for it, and I can see why it would be easy for him to get offended and why it would be hard for him to deal with this question. Perhaps if you were to make it very clear that you wern't attacking him, you could talk it over and build some bridges? A strong and meaningful relationship could be just around the corner for you if you are willing to work for it!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021