fattening the g-string sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by resol, Jun 27, 2005.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    according to a previous thread, the g-string has a frequency of 98Hz - will boosting this frequency on my semi-para. eq fatten my g-string sound? if not, how can i thicken the notes on the g-string (without changing string gauge)?
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm having the same problems with my Ibanez....!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Changing to a thicker guage for the G string is the only really effective alternative. If you boost the EQ at the G note frequency, it will give a sloping hump to all of the surrounding frequencies, which might get played on the D string. Plus, the G string will lose "oomph" the farther up the string you play.

You can try to adjust the pickup height for a tiny bit of effect, but a thicker G string guage is your only real solution.
  4. yeah, boosting it on the EQ will only give a boost around the notes of an OPEN g string
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I just fattened up the G on my Stingray 5 by adjusting the pickup height so it sits a little bit closer to the G.

If that doesn't work, then a thicker G string will definitely do it.
  6. Alot of it is the bass too. I have both a Lakland Skyline 5502 and a Spector Rebop 5 and the while the Lakland has a much wider range of tones, the Spector is fatter sounding up high with the same gage and brand of string. It's the first bass I've owned that has that quality. If the bass isn't puttin it out, you really can't make it up elsewhere wihtout introducing other problems. That's been my experience...
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Try a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats.
  8. revlover

May 16, 2005
    Yep, I recommend stringing your whole bass with them!
  9. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Ive had that problem with my Ibanez as well. I think one solution is to use a compressor.