1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fattening up the bottom end of the big muff...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, May 15, 2006.

1. Ok heres the situation...

I have on my pedal board a big muff and zvex wooly mammoth (see link in sig for full lineup). I have recently used the mammoth in the studio and it is unbelievable. It performed brilliantly and sounds huge. However live it dissapoints everytime. No matter how loud it is I cannot get the sound to cut through and I am only in a 3 piece band.

The big muff is brilliant and one of the staple sounds of our band. However I always get the same criticism at most gigs which is that when the muff kicks in the bottom end dissapears. On the board I also have a SABDDI and in my bedroom I have a boss GEB7 lying around. What arrangement of pre/post muff EQ and which pedals would you reccomend for giving more bottom end to the muff. I have a loooper so switching multiple pedals on/off at once is not an issue.

Suggestions and other peoples experiences would be most appreciated.

PS - The bass I am using is a Warwick Thumb BO5 (E-C).

2. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    I reckon the GEB7 with a bass boost before the big muff on your chain might do the trick

or even setting the SABDDI to be a slight boost grit overdrive

I have a Marshall Guvnor (original) before my big muff in my chain, and I have it set Bass full, Mids right down, treble full, and the gain on quite low, it acts as a light gritty dirty boost and sounds good on its own, but if i put the big muff on aswell it makes it sound massive

3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I don't have a Big Muff, but I would recommend getting a loooper with a blend pot to mix the distorted signal with the clean signal. I do this with my DOD250 and I get very pleasing results.

Jason

4. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Well I have played around with my Big Muff and Bass Driver, the best results I get is when I dial in a small amount of grit (about 12 oclock) with a slight bass and treble boost. This sounds absolutely huge with lots of bass rumble. Note: I am using a Russian Big Muff which is meant to have less low end loss than other Muffs.

Hope this helps,

Tim

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As another approach, have you tried Frantone's bass fuzz pedals? The Bassweet has a great combination of cutting fuzz and low end heft IME.

6. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    +1

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really wish I could either

A) Remember what I did to modify my first Big Muff
    B) Get my old Big Muff back and reverse engineer my mods.

I made some cap mods to my Big Muff that really let the bottom end shine through.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    That one guy here with his little big muff claims it holds bottom end better then the regular big muff... It would give you easier access to your wooly for sure:D.

Edit: that guy is Mysticboo and wrote a review about it in the gear section.

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    And I'm that guy. :smug:

The LBM really does have "oomph", and I'm doubting that it's just my amp and strings (the amp is a 12" GK combo, and the strings are DR Lo Riders). The reason I say this is because my clean and Muff'd sound have equally deep low end... which says a lot, I think. I wish I could try it out on a stack, though... maybe a 4x10 and a 1x15, or a 4x12. That'd be a true demonstration of what the LBM can and can't do.

Here's what I do for my Little Big Muff. I think the dial positions may be considerably different on the regular Big Muff, since they're not identical internally. Might help a bit, though:

I usually have my volume dial at 9:00 to be fairly equal to clean volume (If needed, I raise it for a nice boost), and tone anywhere between 9:00 and 11:00. For more low end, set tone betwen 9:00 and 10:00.

Since you have an SABDDI, I'd recommend putting it after the muff, as the tube emulation it provides makes the Muff even deeper, but it changes the tone somewhat (could be good or bad, depending on your sound). If it worked great on my LBM, it should work similarly on your Muff.

From what I remember, the Wolly Mammoth is a pretty deep fuzz, but way too expensive for my tastes... probably why I turned it down without further testing :D

I honestly couldn't tell you with any certainty how an LBM would compare to the Mammoth. I'm very satisfied without it.

There's another guy on TalkBass that owns one, too. His name is rayzak. Maybe he could jump in on this discussion and give his input, too?

10. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    +2

11. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I found this on a diy stompbox website (you may have already seen it, but just in case . . .)

If the box has a small value input or output capacitor like.01uF, you can change the capacitor to a larger value such as.1uF and this will feed the unit more bass. If you change the input capacitor to a larger value, you will put more bass into the distortion circuit. If you change the output capacitor to a larger value, you will output more bass after the distortion.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, that's what I based my mod on... that idea. However, I'm not 100% sure which cap I swapped out for which value, or if it was more than one. I think there was a resistor or two that changed as well.

13. Hey Tpylons, I know you like your English Muff'n....I just heard the clip on EH with the crappy drum machine, and I gotta say I'm impressed - it really "emulates" a tube tone, haha!

God, it sounds like my freaking Mesa... I think I'll take some rolaids now, thank you and all your talking about this pedal....I hate Talkbass!:scowl:

:D

...sorry to invade this thread:)

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Haha, yeah, I loved it before I realized I couldn't afford it ;)

15. ....as my Boss ODB-3, Tech 21 Comtortion, and BDDI fall by the wayside.....

Yup, I need one.

And really, thanks, because I probably would not have found this pedal if it wasn't for you:confused: :confused:

Looks like a couple of my pedals may embark on the great Ebay journey now.....the tubes actually reassure me that this may be a pedal I'll savor for a while......and I was just getting ready to get a Ring-Mod:eyebrow:

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    OOC, which Muff do you own?

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Hey all, I was playing around at a guitar store the other day and noticed a new Little Big Muff for $68 Canadian. I was amazed how cheap it was, so I tried it out and damm if I didn't buy it right then and there. It has huge low end!!!!

I had just tried a regular Big Muff a few weeks earlier and rejected it because of the low end loss. The Little Big Muff however, sounded much different to me. It is so creamy, and huge sounding. The pedal is so inexspensive but feels very well made, uses a standard boss type adaptor, is a great size for my pedal board and sounds unreal!

Best deal on a bass distortion im my opinion for the price!

Bruce

18. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Would a passive bass be a better choice for the woolly as opposed to your Thumb 5?

19. The big silver american one, actually its a mates but it has been on long term loan :) pics in sig link to pedal board.

with regards to the bass, if I use the thumb with the mammoth then i use it on passive mode. it has a push/pull volume pot. But still I have had enough of being criticised for it not cutting through so i think it has to go? :bawl:

20. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

so yeah... back to this now:

the bddi after the muff idea is a good one... but you could also try an aphex bass xciter. this way you can change your tone without changing your tone. if that makes any sense.

here: the bass xciter is perfect for the end of a chain. it brings back the life (or low end) you've lost going through your effects. you could leave it on all the time, or use the looper to turn it on just when the muff is on.

you may achieve similar results with your geb7 by boosting the lows and keeping the rest of the faders flat.... but the xciter just sounds so....... clean.

:ninja: