1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fatter highs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by drewfunk, Oct 21, 2010.

1. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Alot of the bass lines i create use pretty high notes, up on the g string. Problem is anything i play on the g sounds very thin. What can i do to get a 'fatter' sound on the high notes without muddying my lows? Eq'ing, strings? I play an ibby atk through a gk backline 600 and a peavey 4x10, in a hard rock band.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I would turn down the tone.

Perhaps look into thinner strings as well.

3. elzeder

elzeder

Mar 19, 2010
    europe
    Flats, the D and G sound really fat with flats (i got Labellas FL and TI's), try plucking by the neck as well and you can try adding low-mids.

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Higher gauge strings would also help.

Though I found ATKs to sound rather thin anyway.

5. I like to turn up my mids for this. Generally I can keep high mids with rounded back treble and bass, and it makes it sound very warm. I imagine that turning up the treble and bass would (respectively) make the upper and lower registers sound thicker, but I don't have my bass right now to try it.

6. drewfunk

drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
    Flats are out, i like a punchy bright sound. I was thinking thicker d and g strings, and maybe some high mids added with the treble rolled off a bit?

7. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Definitely pluck near the FB. You also might consider bringing down the highs more and some of the mids; for the non-hi stepping parts pluck closer to the bridge with a bit more attack to compensate for the EQ shift.