Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fatter string quest

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by moped10, May 22, 2003.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Howdy all- Just a quick stringish question- I've been gigging more frequently on 2+ hour shows- I play either unplugged or miked- When I'm miked, there's no monitor for me :( so I'm still going off my acoustic volume for intonation- Technique-wise I'm doing the index finger pointing at the bridge thing and getting good results- Stringwise I'm on rope core superflexibles- I dig in pretty hard most of the time to hear myself and I like the tone from these strings- The problem is they're so skinny diameter-wise and tense, my pizz finger is getting pretty worn out- Last night I put on a supernil I had on the G- It felt great, but my tone went down the crapper, so I changed back between sets- Is there a synthetic gut or bigger diameter steel anyone recommends that gives a tone comparable to the Thomastiks?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    If you don't bow much, try the Velvet 360's or Anima. Fat and a big acoustic sound.

If you do bow, get a D & G Pirastro Oliv or Eudoxa.

Oops, I just realized you said synthetic gut. My recommendations in order for that would be:
    1. Velvet 360
    2. Supersensitive Sensicore
    3. Obligato

I'm using a bass while waiting on my new one, and it is strung with Helicores. To get a big pizz sound I have to play every note like it is FFF. In frustration, I put on an old D & G Oliv yesterday, and Voila.......great jazz sound. I was really worried about playing this bass at the 2 jazz festivals I have in the beginning of June.

Monte

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Thomastik Dominants.
    The tone is comparable, and stronger. Stiffer for the left hand though.
    The core is Perlon (nylon) and they're wound with flat chromesteel. Gauge is similar to Spirocores.

4. catwood

catwood

Apr 26, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Now hold on a sec, Monte. I am confused (and also a little ignorant). You're implying that one should NOT get the Animas if one does a little bowing? You see, I thought the Garbos were for all pizz nice & fat, and the Animas were good if you also did a bit of bowing. The latter is the category I fall into, and I had been considering the Animas...but, alas, I have never actually heard them.
    Do the Animas just not grab on the bow well or something?

thanks...

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Ok, ok, I'll plead personal ignorance on this one. My impression of the Animas is that they are "bowable", but from what people like David K. have said, they really don't respond quickly to the bow. I didn't spend enough time with a bow on them to make a definitive conclusion. I had the same problem with the 180's, which were supposed to be bowable, but the wrap was to rough and made it scratchy.

If you do a little bowing, as you say, the Animas should be fine. They just may not be appropriate for orchestra.

They re-formulated the 180's, and should be available soon.

Monte

6. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for all of your advice, this forum is such a great resource:) - I'm intrigued by the Velvet 360's- They have gotten rave reviews- I could get the Eurosonics for quite a bit cheaper though- Are they any good, or should I just jack up my action, put on the supernil G, and save up for the 360's? My swollen pizz finger can't handle the Superflexible tension for hard ampless gigs...Taping my fingers helps but I don't want to lose my hard-earned callusses and get addicted to tape- I also like to feel the strings, no matter how taut they are...

7. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for all of your advice, this forum is such a great resource:) - I'm intrigued by the Velvet 360's- They have gotten rave reviews- I could get the Eurosonics for quite a bit cheaper though- Are they any good, or should I just jack up my action, put on the supernil G, and save up for the 360's? My swollen pizz finger can't handle the Superflexible tension for hard ampless gigs...Taping my fingers helps but I don't want to lose my hard-earned callusses and get addicted to tape- I also like to feel the strings, no matter how taut they are...

8. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    No wonder your fingers hurt, you're playing twice as many notes as you need to.

I've never played the 360's but I think that they are the same as the Anima's in this respect: String tension is similar for all strings and that tension is low.

9. catwood

catwood

Apr 26, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey Monte...another question for you. How are those Eudoxa treating you? Do you have problems with them staying in tune during a gig? How do they compare to the Animas? Basically, I'm trying to decide between the purchase of these two strings without the expensive experimentation (foolish & inevitable, I know).

I appreciate all the insight.

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I have no problems at all with them. Like any gut, even after you have broken them in, the tuning stability is going to be less than what steel will. However, on my normal 4 hour gig, I tune right when I get there, check again before the downbeat (to give the instrument time to adjust to the room), and right before the 3rd set. It typically will be a few cents flat, but not really that bad.

I notice in your profile that you like a lot of slappers. If you slap, I would steer clear of the Eudoxas. The winding is known to be too fragile to withstand slapping.

I'm probably not the best qualified to speak on Animas, as I've only owned the 360's and 180's, althought I have played them.

You might can check the Eudoxas out on my bass Sunday in N. Little Rock at 6pm. E-mail me at montebutts@hotmail.com for details.

Monte

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When I was looking for a fatter string
    with less tension, the Tomastik rep told
    me to order regular Spirocores, BUT in the
    full size length. The longer string has less
    tension. I thought he was nuts, but it works.
    Just as soft as the weichs but fatter.

12. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The longer string has less tension when used with a string lenght shorter than what it was designed for. Hence, a 4/4 string has less tension when mounted on a 3/4 size bass than the tension of a real 3/4 bass string.
    Makes sense?

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. I got it..... on
    my bass. (heh heh)

14. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I really like the eurosonics a lot--they're very large and easy on the fingers, and they have a big, soft sound. less sustain than a lot of strings, but not bad. They bow pretty well.

I replaced the E string in my set with an Obligato E--the E was just TOO big