1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fatter tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dabass, Jan 18, 2017.

1. dabass

dabass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    I'm looking to mellow out a lively 5 string J bass currently strung with Sadowsky Standards 45-130... I love the feel but want to mellow out and fatten the tone a bit... little more bottom end booty... any suggestions?

2. Are you talking about rounds or flats? Black Label or Blue Label?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Fatter tone means fatter strings (to me, anyways).

swafran and scuzzy like this.
  4. dabass

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Preferably rounds

5. dabass

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    The bass is currently setup with Sadowsky Blue Steel Rounds

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Try dropping the tuning a half step, or using a lighter gauge string (and turning up your amp to compensate).

7. fatter just means you have more tones in your timbre

Mushroo likes this.
  8. DR Lo-Riders, Sunbeams or Pure Blues?

Alex Bass likes this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    This is why we can't have nice things.

As for OP, my suggestion is don't change the strings for a while and use the bass EQ knob.

bhoff5150, BurnOut, 40Hz and 11 others like this.
  10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hehe, that's too funny. Part of the problem is that we all mean different, completely subjective, things when we say "fat tone". I agree, splurging on new strings before playing with all the available eqs is wasteful and silly. I was assuming OP had already exhausted the "stock" solutions, but maybe not.

jaysbass2002 and lz4005 like this.
  11. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I assume you are talking about your Avella-Copella into a Tonehammer 500. Boost the low mids.

Rip Van Dan, MattZilla and AModestRat like this.
  12. have you tried a compressor ??
    I can recommend the OVNIFX Smoothie but there are many others of course

swafran and Tommyc like this.
  13. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Compressor. More worn strings, or flatwounds. EQ less treble, maybe mess around with the mids.

Also, IMO, use lighter gauge strings for an overall mellow-er tone.

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  14. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I love compression as much as the next guy. I currently own four of them. But if you can't get a fat tone out of an A-C bass with a Tonehammer amp, something is not right. Fix that first, then look into compressors for added flavor.

klokker, TN WOODMAN and pbass2 like this.
  15. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    nickel is warmer than steel ...

i use GHS Pressurewounds .. or any other Roller Wound nickel outer wrap ... it's wrapped under pressure , which makes it a slightly Oval shape .. smooth , warm , less fret/finger noise ...

you could also change your tone cap value if Passive ... to lower high freq roll off point ...

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  16. dabass

Sep 27, 2005
    NYC
    Yes sir AC LM5 ToneHammer 500... may consider Nickels

17. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Pardon the pun, but I've been hammered on here for my reviews of the TH 500. I didn't find it to be a particularly warm amp inherently. It was fluffy to me. Probably works best when loud, not at practice volumes. The high and low EQ points didn't work well for me at all. I found that rolling the highs back just took away all clarity on that head. Rolling them up made it sound clanky. Of course, it depends a lot on the cab as well.

I agree with a few comments above - stick with a good worn set of nickel round wounds (probably smaller sizes, not bigger) and dial your tone knob on the bass near the center. Maybe try rolling some of the bridge pickup down a bit.

I fought with that head for a while and decided I just didn't like what it did. I sold it and went a different direction. I'm glad I did!

bassbully, jmbjandfam and CalBuzz51 like this.
  18. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    DR Nickel Lo-Riders and Sunbeams are the strings I found that fatten up the sound on my basses.

19. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Cut tone (treble), boost low mids and a little bass. Any nickel roundwounds will do, but I loved DRs Sunbeams 45-105 for a fat rock sound.

20. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Interesting. I think I'm about to get rid of my TH500. Not sure what you mean by "fluffy" though. I find it can get a little "clanky" at times,,, especially when pushing it hard. And yes, depends on the cab A LOT.

I think the cutting a little high mid,, or boosting a little low mid might work for the OP to get a "fatter" sound. Set the TH flat, gain low, and Drive about noon,, then play with the mids... I'd start with Mid freq at 2:00, and Mid level at 1:00,,, or Mid freq at 9-10 o'clock and Mid level at 1 o'clock ish... See where ghat gets you.