1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"fattest" j-bass neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Jul 26, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I own a Geddy Lee j-bass which I like, but don't love, and I think it's because of the neck; it's extremely thin, the thinnest of all fender necks I seem to have read. And there's also a sticky finish on it that I don't like that much. I took it mostly because it's a beautiful and great sounding instrument (I love the block inlays rather than dots) but I'm thinking of switching to another type of jazz bass that might have a thicker neck. Does anyone here know which model might have a bigger neck?
    I have a dano '63 and I LOVE the neck, it's beafier without being huge, and is "rounder" in a way (more "D" shaped than "C" shaped, maybe...??) so if a j-bass has a bigger neck with a less shiny/sticky finish that would be awesome.
    I've heard great comments on the roadworn j-bass and the neck seems to have a nicer finish...is it by any chance thicker than the GL one?
    thanks!

2. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I am having the same issues. My frankenjazz has the warmoth slim contour neck (very similar to the geddy). Mine just has an oil rubbed finish though. I like the feel of the wood. I know it voids warmoth's warranty, but it was what I wanted

3. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    When I had to replace the neck on my '73 Jazz bass I got a Jazz neck from Warmoth, but opted for the Standard Taper as opposed to the Slim Taper. Much better. It's just as wide across the fretboard, but it's deeper from front to back. Very comfortable.

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Allparts necks are chunkier, too.

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  6. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'd get a Warmoth P neck and swap them out. I think you can add blocks for an extra cost.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    G&L's #8 and #6 "J" necks have a fatter rear profile than the typical Fender J, and those built before about 2010 are slightly fatter than the current models. I have examples of both, a 2007 SB-2 and 2010 JB (Jazz clone). Both have fatter rear profiles than the typical Fender J, but the SB-2's neck has a more pronounced "D" type profile. My JB's neck is more like a Fender, but a little fuller, and based on others I've tried, this seems to be G&L's standard rear profile.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    +1 to the g&ls

9. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I think I want to stick to fender if possible (because I'm used to them and they are very easy to find used for cheap around here. I've unfortunately never seen any of the other bass you've mentioned on the used market...).

EDIT: (in my area that is...!)

10. +1 for the allparts. Much chunkier than the Geddy. I had both and couldn't believe how much bigger the Allparts was. The Squier VMJ neck sits comfortably in the middle of the three necks however and to me is the best of the three.

BnB

11. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I'm not sure what # neck I have on my G&L JB, but it does feel like Fender neck except it's a bit thicker front to back with a flat radius. There's a couple of nicely price ones in the classifieds.

12. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I think I am going to be happier selling/trading my jazz bass off, and replacing it with a 5 string.
    The nut width on mine is only 1.45 inches, so with a slim contour it really feels skinny. It would be a pain to change it though. Because the truss rod adjustment was at the heel of the neck, I put the threaded inserts in the neck, so I would not have to deal with stripping out the wood screw holes. Then I made a neck plate for the larger heads on 1/4x20 machine screws. The headstock is also painted to match the body

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Do what i did.
    Bought a Fender Roadworn P-Neck and put it on my Geddy Lee
    Jazz.
    Pre-aged neck feels like butter.
    it also fat'n tone up a bit.

14. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    but I prefer the look of a matching headstock...and I am not taking this apart for a P neck. I will either hang it on the wall, or get rid of it, and get exactly what I want
    th_019-1.

15. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    now THAT sounds exactly like what I would love to do!
    but be honest...how hard is it gonna be to find a RW p-bass neck?? (without having to buy the whole bass....)

16. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    It might be shockingly easy to find a RW P-bass neck. I wouldn't wager it'd be very difficult.

17. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
  18. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008