1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fattest Jazz Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fenwick, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    I'm looking for a jazz pickup to replace the MEC in my Streamer LX4. I'm not really a solo'd jazz bridge guy, but I find the tone of the MEC to be too polite and too thin.

I'm hoping to find a jazz pickup that is a bit beefier and dirtier sounding than what I have. I've already decided that I'm gonna replace the MEC P pup with a Dimarzio Will Power (dp146), so I looked at other Dimarzio for the J bridge and I think the model J would be the best as the others (ultra and area) sprinkle the word 'traditional' in a lot, which I don't think I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be Dimarzio.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I would think a Model J or Ultra J wired in series would deliver in spades.

3. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    thanks for the series tip! So Ultra vs Model for what I'm going for?
    From the site description the Model sounds right, but what about from people's experiences?

4. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I had the ModelJ. It's the only jazz bridge pickup I've been able to use by itself without having to bump the low end on the amp. Dark sounding though, but in a good way. Nasty. Turned a POS Yamaha that didn't have any personality into a mean beast that could hang with two marshall stacks without breaking a sweat... lots of midrange, very good in a band context.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have the model Js in my fretless, and they are POWERFUL. Try them, you will see...

6. Di Marzio model J

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I have a Will Power/Ultra Jazz PJ combo in one bass right now, and I'm not 100% sold on it yet. I think the Model J might be a better pairing, honestly.

8. CM63

CM63

Feb 9, 2013
    Walnut Creek, Ca
    How are stock MIM jazz wired? What is the difference?
    Also 250k pots or 500k pots? What is the difference?

9. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I had the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in my bass for years. I was always reaching for the volume knob and trying to tweak stuff to get a fatter sound. Then I got the Dimarzio Model J. It's fat. I feel it still sounds enough like a jazz bass except I can actually cut through the live mix. My bass is perfect now.

10. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Model J in series!!!! Running the model P/J on my Ibanez and it has a deep growly tone. For the first time in my life I spend more time using just he jazz than the other pickup. the j pup is deep, strong and has a good healthy amount of mid.

11. I find myself with the same problem as the OP and I agree with others that have posted that the Model J would be a good choice for the bridge pickup of my PJ but the only problem is that my bass is a 5 string. Can anyone suggest a 5 string J bridge pickup that is similar to the Dimarzio Model J? I currently have the Nordstrand NPJ5S set installed. Nice pickups but the P is not vintage enough and the split J at the bridge is too weak and thin sounding for my taste.

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Maybe its time we petition DiMarzio to make a 5 string version, hehe.

Seriously, what a great pickup, and what a great bargain too.

13. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    Nordstrand big singles or big splits may do the trick

14. Yeah, I'm still considering the Big Splits (for hum canceling with the P pickup) or maybe Fat Stacks? Or maybe Duel Coils? If I chose any of those 3, I'd have to rout the J cavity to fit. If Dimarzio made a 5 string Model J, I'd be set.

15. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    If you wire up a big single with a p it should still be hum canceling, just like other P/J combinations. So the big split isn't necessary for hum cancelling

16. Okay, so it's a better choice in my case than a big split? Also, how do the Fat Stacks or Duel Coils compare?

17. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    I have the big singles in my SR1200 and "fat" isnt a word i would use.. clear, aggressive, prescent yes.. fat?..nope.

Perhaps the fat stacks would be a better choice.

18. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    This is not correct.

one single coil and one P will produce hum from the single coil. The P hum cancels itself only.

two single coils will hum cancel with both pups at same volume.

The big splits, fat stack or DC are the right way to go with the Nordstrands..then at least you can solo the neck or bridge without hum (well, with the proviso that if you coil tap then you will get hum)

19. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    What are people's experiences with the Delano JMVC? I finally decided to mod the Will Power P pup into my ATK300 and am thinking to take the Delano PMVC route for the neck in my Streamer.

Has anyone tried the Delano JMVC? It would likely go well with it's P counterpart, but I'm wondering if a Model J in there would be a nice counter to the Delano's cleaner and punchy P....