1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fattest Sounding Jazz Pickups and preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by santucci218, Mar 19, 2009.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    So i have the "Talkbass Bass." Its great, honestly. I love the feel and looks of it. While it does have a great sound, the sound just isnt as fat as some other basses ive played.

More small detail...Yesterday I played an older Ibanez SR1205. That thing had an amazing sound, but i just didnt dig how it played. I dont like the super tight string spacing and the whole feel of the instrument is just off putting to me. Here is my bass...

l_3f0c7f01b8dc40a6a36c3033dbb2a055.

It plays perfect. It looks perfect...to me anyways. The Nordy NJ4 pickups are great, honestly, but it just doesnt sound as fat as i want it to. I know a ton of you guys love the Audere preamps and such and i was thinking that maybe the sound i am digging comes from active electronics or something. Anyways, im sure some of you guys have had the same situation as me, so let me know. Thank you.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    anybody? Dimarzio Model J's?

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I honestly don't get why so many people recommend the Audere when somebody says "fat". I've owned two of them, and the tone was nice, but not fat. The low-boost z-mode might sound fat to some people because the lows are boosted :rolleyes: but that doesn't fly with me.

The fattest sounding pups and pre I've heard in person are Barts. I also posted a similar thread to this one some months ago, and most of the respondents said "Barts". In fact the only respondents who didn't say "Barts" were the ones who totally ignored my clear request that they not recommend Audere or Glockenklang.

4. I certainly haven't tried all the J pickup choices, but I find Dimarzio Model Js to be pretty fat. They cover the whole tonal spectrum well to my ears, plus they're hum canceling, and have individually adjustable pole pieces, which is very helpful when used in older basses with a more radius-ed neck.

5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Nordy Big Singles?

6. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

i have to add another plug for dimarzio model js. i am using them right now and they are (in one word) thick! plus they are humbucking and have adjustable pole pieces.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1 For the DiMarzio Model Js.

They are by far the fattest sounding, ballsiest pickup I've ever used. I had a set lying around for years unused, then I had a bass gear get together with a few TBers and heard Lyle's (Karter 2000) Geddy with Model J's. That night I went home and reassembled my J bass and put the model Js in. Very glad I did it. Previously I had been using a P bass with quarter pounders but switched back to a jazz bass just so I could use the Model Js.

I'm having a custom made shortscale Stambaugh made for me right now. Its going to cost me $2000, which is alot for me for a bass. Guess what pickups I am putting in?

DiMarzio Model Js.

So yeah, you could say I'm a fan. :cool:

8. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Dimarzio j's are B.A.!!

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    ha, i think i need to get some Dimarzio's and a bart preamp. Bongo, do you have any suggestion to which bart preamp would be best?

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Another vote for Dimarzio DP123

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    okay, lol, im for sure getting the dimarzio's.

12. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    +1 on the J's. They put out a solid and strong signal on thier own - curious why do you want to add a Bart Preamp?
    David

13. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    somebody mentioned the fat sound from them. I had a bart pre in my old ibby BTB prestige and it was actually mean sounding. anyways, i ordered the Dimarzio's and they will be here in a few weeks for me to try em out. Who knows, maybe this is all ill need!

14. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    J-Retro!

Instant fatness to your JB!

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    hmmm

When I think "Fat tone" I don't normally think J-bass... What's great about a J-bass, to me, is the cutting tone. When I think fat, I think P-bass, Stingray or perhaps an older gibson humbucker type sound.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've posted this before, but... here we go again:
    I'd definitely consider DiMarzio Model J's. Here's a song I recorded with my Model J equipped jazz bass that, to my ears, really represents what Model J's are all about.

Usual disclaimer: Sorry about the Fruity Loops drums and my rather uneven guitar playing:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=810319&songID=6318217

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Hard for me to tell the exact tone of that clip, as its not really my style of music at all, ya know? anyways, like i said, i already ordered the pickups, so we will see how they go. after i get those i will see about a preamp

18. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

I too vote for J-retro, i've got barts and an audere in my jazz fretless, perfect combo for fretless, but my fretted J has barts and an East J-retro, and i get super boom-stick=)

19. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

+1...
    I have Dimarzio Model J's in my '68 Jazz bass body with a MIM Special Edition Jazz neck and those pickups are VERY fat.
    I also have a 2006 Highway 1 Jazz and I'll be putting the Model J's in that, too. Best bass pickups on the market, IMO, for all of the reasons listed above. Also very reasonably priced. :ninja: )-(

20. Koeda

Koeda

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville
    Thing about the "J"s is they are split coil with 4 leads so can be wired in series to be like a P - or in parallel to be like a J, or with a DPDT V pots you have a choice for each pu. Add a DPDT on the T pot and you get even more ser/par options between the pu's. Have a Kramer wired like that - go from cutting to way fat.
    David