Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fattest sounding p-pickup...?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jonki, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    wich one? well, the plan is that i'm thinking to change my current Bart 8S pickup, i love the sound of it, but ï'm looking for something fatter and more thumpy sound.

Specs on my bass :

Mahogny body
    Fretless ebony fingerboard
    Goncale Alves neck
    Bart 8s pickup
    Bart NTBT 2band eq

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My Nordstrand NP4 sounds plenty fat to me. I'll bet that thru that Bart preamp, it would be killer! :hyper:

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    *noticed* :)

im also considering an Aguilar OBP3 preamp, im really looking for some mids too. :) but, what does that mid freq switch do?

thanks
    Jonki

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Selects center frequency of 400hz or 800hz. Or you can hardwire it to either of the two freqs - this means you don't need a switch then.

The Nord NP4 is a great pickup, but I had some very surprising results with the Dimarzio Split P pickup (not the Model P). It had HUGE lows.

You might want to look into a four wire P pickup, so you can switch between series and parallel - you'll get more lows in parallel but not as much punch as series.

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ever have occassion to try the DiMarzio Will Power P-pickup, by any chance? I really like the DiMarzio Model P, but am thinking of trying a Will Power once my P-bass arrives.

6. I own the Will Power Middle in my MIM-P.

I use it with TI Flats and it plays well. It has an aggressive sound to it, but the rig is still mid-rich. I think this is the TI flats, as that is all I've run on it. I went from stock, to a Duncan Hot for P, then to the WPM, all with TI Flats.

I'm going to switch to Labella Deep Talkin' Flats and try them with the WPM. If I still can't get that big thump I want, I have a Duncan SPB-2 to drop in.

I have the WPM wired as 4-wire for series/parallel mode. There is enough difference between the two to warrant the soldering efforts and switching.

7. Always thought of the bass of my EMG P and P/J sets as being fat. Thumpy? Kinda depends on what you mean. I just turn down the treble a bit to get more old school. Check www.katejames.com and scroll down to the sound samples. Lonely Hearts has a walking line that is the soloed P off my P/J equipped Yama. Give it a few seconds play time, they did something weird to the quality of the initial part of the song to make it sound like you're tuning in a radio. :rolleyes:

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't mean to sound condescending, but "fat" isn't just miraculously gained by changing components or adding a pedal.
    If it was that easy, so many of us wouldn't be chasing after James Jamerson's, Hutch Hutchinson's, or Bob Babbitt's tones like maniacs....we'd just get out our credit cards.

It's largely - woods + electronics + strings + amp + luthier's skill and, (more than anything), your technique.

But, IMO, playing through a fine 15" or two that is pushed by some serious wattage is a fine start on your way to "fatness."