1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Faul / Paul Mcartney Really is Dead...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by twhitedc, Aug 3, 2012.

1. twhitedc

twhitedc Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    Has anyone else seen this documentary? Thoughts? Feelings?
    It's on Netflix.... discuss:

2. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    My old drummer and a friend on fb are both convinced that he is dead because of this documentary. I think the proof that he's alive is his songwriting. I mean who the hell else could pull off "Silly little love songs" without a hint of irony. Seriously, How could you find a look alike that not only sounds and plays like Paul, But writes like Paul?

3. twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    There's been a lot of years in between, why did he swap playing from right to left handed? Im not sold either way, but I do love a good conspiracy theory. The film definitely raises A LOT of curious points...

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    what?

5. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Then who is it that played for 1 pound at the Olympics?

6. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is one of the stranger conspiracy theories and it shows how easy it is to gather facts to create one. Because that is what happened. The guy who started this thought he was making an obvious parody of the way that people would read into Beatles songs and was amused when people believed it.

Think about this -- if Paul McCartney REALLY died, and was really replaced -- for what reason would there be any clues woven into the albums and album covers? They'd want to hide it, not surreptitiously let it out. The only reason for artists to put such subliminal messaging in their product NOW is to drive sales. Not to impart any information of substance.

7. twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    The film tells a story narrated by what is believed to be George Harrison's voice. Evidently the story goes that Paul was killed in an accident ( blew his mind out in a car). Then in an attempt to avoid mass hysteria the British government held a look alike contest with Dick Clark which actually happened. Then.... According to the film the winner underwent surgery and learned to play while George became a bigger part of writing and they continued to record song that ha been penned by john ad Paul prior. Then the band proceeded to hide images, backward lyrics, and other clues to the story like the art for sgt peppers, rubber soul, revolver.... And more

It's a stretch, and I'm not claiming to be sold on it... But there is A LOT of details in the film.

Check it out.

8. 66Atlas

66Atlas

May 19, 2012
    He's not dead, he just wanted to get away from public life and is living on an island in the south pacific with Elvis, Mamma Cass and Captain Kangaroo. Dont ask how I know.

:bag:

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Q: When did he play righthanded in the Beatles or after?
    A: Never.

10. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

This BS has been around since the '60's.

Get a life and learn how to do a little critical thinking.

11. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    What really happened is that he perished playing drums for Spinal Tap

12. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I think that it precisely what the filmmakers have done.

You can accuse them of being a lot of things, but being without "critical thinking" skills probably isn't one of them.

Now, you COULD make the argument that they are being overtly critical of any of their so-called "clues" (OMG, HE'S NOT WEARING SHOES! HE MUST BE DEAD!) and have manufactured a conspiracy out of them.

Either way...silly stuff.

13. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    The problem isn't with the makers of the film, it's with the people who fall for it.

Ridiculous. People will believe anything.

Oh by the way, Elvis is still alive. I saw him yesterday.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You're kidding me right? I also watched that documentary, and though it is mildly convincing for the first 30 minutes, it eventually becomes so in-depth and finds clues absolutely everywhere, to the point that you could find a clue in damn well anything you if you just spin it right.

It is a fun idea, that is why it is one of the oldest rock and roll conspiracy theory/legends, somebody was just playing on the idea when they sent the tape in to the media. Do you really think people could pull something like this off? It would require many many people to pull off successfully, there is no way not one person would spill. People are awful at keeping secrets, a conspiracy that large could never be pulled off.

I suppose you believe 9/11 was an inside job as well? That somewhere out there at least 1,000 people have intimate knowledge that it was highly organized, and not one of them cracks... not likely in today's society...

15. twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    Well I see we jumped right into personal critiques and no one could do a quick google search which would reveal that the film's website describes it as a Mock-umentry. Thanks for the all the bass-related "discussion"

16. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    The unpredictable nature of TB threads are part of their charm, IMO.

17. I tried watching it. It was so stupid I had to turn it off. The voice that was supposed to be George's sounded like an American trying to mimic his voice.

The only thing dumber than this crock-umentary is discussing it on TB.

LAME.......

BTW I thought the makers were serious and it became a Mock-umentry after they realized it was crap. Mock-umentury or not it was lame.

Sorry if I come off like a jerk. I just thought that this was some of the worst film making I have seen.

18. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I got a few pics saved in my computer about it:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    My friend actually just posted this on FB. I laughed at him :p

20. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Yeah, the authors and their followers are the epitome of an analytical brain trust.