Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Faulty Boss ME-50b?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RavCat, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone out there who owns a Boss ME-50b could confim that I may have a faulty unit? I've had mine since October '05, and recently, when playing at gig volume, I've been getting a radio-like interferance when not playing.

I played it for the first time through my Ashdown Mag 300W today, and with the pedal in the effect loop, the output was low and seemed very easy to distort the signal when popping high strings. Even with the effects turned off and volume and EQ flat, things didn't improve. I've tried adjusting the noise supressor control, but it has little or no effect. I've also tried hooking up the pedal between the bass and amp (no loop) and the interferance and distortion seemed worse, although no lack of volume.

As soon as I take the pedal out of the loop (i.e. bass > amp > cabs, nothing else) the amp is much clearer, louder, and without interferance when I'm not playing.

I also use a Trace 150W amp regularly, and the same symptoms occur.

Does this sound like the pedal is faulty? If I can help you with any other details, let me know.

Cheers

RC

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I own a GT-6B, similar unit. There is probabally a volume knob on the back of the 50B, mess with that and also the master volume on the FX unit itself (I think the 50B has one too). If those don't change anything on one of the default settings, you probabally have a defective unit.

3. Yep - to reiterate, I've played with the noise suppressor on the back with no positive result. The master volume will cause bad distortion if I turn it up much louder than flat.