Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Faux rhythm guitar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ballmasterflex, Apr 7, 2004.

1. I hope I don't get flamed for this thread...

I play in an indie rock band and I want to "fatten" up certain sections (especially when our guitarist does single-note figures) by mimicing another guitar being there. I've thought about getting an upper octave of what I'm playing and sending it to a harmonizer (to add the fifth) and then sending that to another amp (guitar amp). Has anyone done anything like this? In short, I would like there to be a signal that is guitar sounding copying what I'm playing.

Thanks.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    couldnt you just use a bit of light overdrive, and a chorus pedal to make your bass sound bigger to fill the gap left by the guitar?

3. I haven't tried it, but I hear the Akai Unibass does exactly what you're looking for. It's discontinued but there are some floating around, like in the "For Sale" forum.

4. I'm currently running my bass through a Big Muff to "fuzz" it up a bit but the low end suffers and my note definition is almost gone.

Thanks guys for the replies, I'll check the internet for the Akai... any place you know of with info on the piece?

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    you need to check out Clatter!!!

one person drums and one gal plays bass into a setup like you are talking but alot more

http://www.clatter.com/

6. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Well minus effects it is possible to play the frames of chords rather easy. Just finger the root, the 3rd, and an octave. When I'm writing songs I do this a lot to fill out the sound so I can hear my songs better. But like I said, this has nothing to do with effects, but it's also a cheap solution to your problem ;).

7. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    The ART SGX Nightbass has some distortion guitar effects. I have never tried them for bass, but they made my Ovation guitar sound pretty meaty. Having the guitar out in space gives you the opportunity to throw in chords, harmonics, or slap/pop techniques. Bassically, the door is opened for you to walk thru.

8. I appreciate the input guys! I thought I was going to get a back-hand to the face for this thread :bassist:

9. The Akai Unibass is exactly what you need, it synthesizes an octave up and can add either the fifth between or the fifth above the octave plus it has a distortion and tone control for the upper notes which you can send that to a seperate amp or loop if wanted. You can find them here occasionally and also on Ebay. I use mine all the time in a rock/blues/jazz trio and also in a piano jazz trio to give me a jazz guitar solo voice. :hyper:

10. Killer! I'll see if I can get my hands on it... I think I missed the boat on the $99 deals that some people seemed to have found.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, the Unibass is what you want. If you can find one, the old Digitech BHM4 will do a wider range of chords. It doesn't have distortion builtin, but you could use your Muff w/ it.

12. ballmasterflex,

I have an Akai unibass for sale/for trade.

Akai Unibass

13. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    Thanks, Bill!

I didn't have much luck with the Unibass, but I know a lot of people like it. Right now I'm using a Digitech Whammy for a 5th up in a couple songs -- it sounds a little warbly sometimes but I think that adds a cool effect.

Definitely try playing chords -- could sound really cool and it adds some visual interest to your playing as well! :cool:

14. I read your thread and saw that you want a SansAmp for it... I can't part with mine, too good of an effect!

I'm trying to find one for less than $150, but if I can't I'll probably be seeing if you still have yours up for grabs :D

15. I don't blame you, the Sansamp is a great pedal. The Akai Unibass just sold, I'll let you know (and others) if the buyer backs out, although the buyer stated the payment was sent. Thanks for inquiring.

16. Could I suggeset that playing different notes can make a huge difference, be your own harmoniser, try playing different roots, 5th's 9's and 11's.

17. Although I appreciate all the suggestions to play different notes, chords, or various other playing techniques, I am looking to "fatten" up sections of songs by adding texture--meaning more than me and one guitar. I can play all the notes in the world but it will still be two people playing when I want the sound of more people playing.