Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fav cover songs your band plays

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jennifer, Aug 17, 2000.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    To those of you that play cover songs, what are some of your favorites to play with your band?

Some of mine:

How Will I Laugh Tomorrow - Suicidal Tendencies
    Manic Depression - Jimi Hendrix
    And Then There Were None - Exodus
    Too Drunk To F**k - Dead Kennedys

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Cover tunes,eh? Well let's see......

Southbound---Allman Brothers
    Funky Broadway---Wilson Pickett
    Day of the Eagle---Robin Trower

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    We try to only play covers we like. Sometimes we play covers most people haven't heard (e.g. Josh Smith, Kenny Wayne Sheppard). Usually I like the newest ones we've learned cuz they are fresher and fun to play. I think the best covers are those that get 'em dancing. A few of our most popular:

Money For Nuthin' - Dire Straits
    Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe
    Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
    Long Cool Woman - Hollies
    Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
    Gimme 3 Steps - Lynrd Skynrd
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself-Georgia Satellites
    Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Love Me 2 Times - Doors
    Hot Girls In Love - Loverboy
    Talking In Your Sleep - Romantics
    What I Like About You - Romantics
    Wildflower - The Cult
    Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones

These are guaranteed "dancers" songs. Most others are hit or miss. We are working on some new stuff that should be dynamite: Smooth, Krptonite, L'il Devil, Fools Shine On, Hold On Loosely, and Jailbreak.

I hope this isn't more than you wanted to hear :)

4. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Thumper,

We play Kryptonite and yes, the people do like it. However, I find it pretty boring to play. But I suppose we can't play everything just to suit me! :) Lynard Skynard sure can be fun, can't it? We do Sat. Nite Special.

Jennifer

5. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I agree, Krptonite is pretty basic, at least I get to do backup vocals on it ;) Fools Shine On (Brother Caine?) is more interesting. In the bass fill, he never plays it the same twice (over 14 variations).

Skynrd is way fun to play. Allman Brothers as well. I'm still waiting to break out Grand Funk. Speaking of Skynrd, I'm having trouble with Simple Man - it goes over well, but frankly, I suck. I spent a week learning it and when I got to practice, everyone else played it in a different key. I learned it from a cassette, they all claimed a combo of cassette and player, plus the original tuning by Skynrd make it sound somewhat in-between, but they learned it from tabs or sheet. Undaunted, I got the CD version and guess what, same problem, compounded by my home practice bass being 34" scale with a black neck/fretboard (Steinberger), and my practice facility bass being 35" maple board/fretboard (Lakland). I still break into a sweat when we play it and of course its in the 1st set Anybody else ever have this problem?

6. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Only thing I can think of, and I'm almost afraid to say it from what I have read in the postings earlier today, is if everyone else learned it from tab or sheet music, ask to see it. Sounds like you know the song, all you need to know is where to put your fingers to be in key with everyone else. The tab'll tell ya that if you're looking at the same one your guitar players used. You probably won't even need to look further than the first couple of notes. As far as the difference between the 34" and 35", all I know is there is a difference of 1". :D Good Luck!

7. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Simple Man is in Am and it's simple man. ;) Southbound is lots-o-fun, but we haven't played it in a while. I like Strong Persuader (Robert Cray), Boys are Back in Town (Thin Lizzy), Radar Love (GE) and YYZ (Rush). We try to change our sets around alot to keep it interesting, but we seem to always do War Pigs and Faries Wear Boots (Sabbath) and they're always fun. We used to do The Trees and Xanadu (Rush) back to back. That was fun, but I don't carry the keyboards around anymore :( .

8. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Player, I'm the hold-up on some of the Sabbath stuff. Do you do the bass leads note for note, or just get the general feel and wing it? I'm anal about note for note, but that causes me to take a long time learning some songs, especially most Sabbath and some Zeppelin.

I'd like to do the Boys are Back, but Jailbreak was faster to learn and I'm behind in my learn list. Hard to put the time in here in Utah, Summers are great, but short, got to take advantage :)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When I was in that "all-originals" band, we OPENED with a cover of The Aquarium Rescue Unit's "No Egos Underwater"(obscure enough that most people thought it was "ours"). ;)
    We played it a little more uptempo than the recording...for those of you that haven't heard this tune, the verse is kinda in an Allman's vibe...the chorus & guitar solo changes are some heavy, syncopated, staccato finger funk.
    One helluva tune for yours truly to get warmed up on.

An offshot band of that particular unit covered tunes like "What's Goin' On", "Afro Blue", "All Blues"(done in a Funk vibe), "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes", "Little Wing"(done ala Sting/Gil Evans), ...Dave Matthews Band also had some "fun" stuff to play.

My current "band", the New Country parody one, does do a pretty good job of "Stormy Monday"(very similiar to the Allmans' version on the Fillmore Live album...'xcept "ours" is better. ;)
    BTW, walking/swingin' in 3(or 6)is cool!

10. Since my band does nothing but cover I guess my faves would be In Memory of Elizabeth Reed(allman bros)
    Telephone song (srv)
    High on the Hog (tommy castro)
    by the way Player nice call on Strong Persuader we do that tune along with Smoking Gun by Cray they usually get good crowd response. I guess our bands problem is we seem to cover alot of tunes that the locals are'nt hip to

11. our now 5 week old band can play "my own worst enemy" by lit with incredible energy and skill. It's our favorite(and only) song

12. The band i'm in (I'm not gonna say my band because i just like to play) Are an original band and we only do a few covers which are cool, here they are ;-

The power of equality (RHCP)
    Under the bridge (RHCP)
    Higher ground (You guessed it!!....RHCP)
    Killing in the name (RATM)
    Lovely day (LIT)

We like RHCP

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gawd, back 10 years ago when i was in my all cover band (the only band i have ever been in to actually make money :rolleyes: :D) we used to do about 100 covers of rush, maiden, zeppelin, who and a bunch of others. my favorites were:

1. i really liked our rush set (we ofte used to play the lp version of exit stage left as our first set) although we would play other rush too, the older stuff like anthem and bastille day were always great fun.

2. maiden : genghis khan, to tame a land, where eagles dare, 22 acacia avenue, losfer words and flash of the blade

3. zeppelin : when the levee breaks, good times bad times

a cool thing about when the levee breaks, a few guys who would go on to form a local band called the urban shakedancers used to come up on stage with us when we played that tune, that was great fun, maybe 7 or 8 guys jamming on it and "traveling riverside blues" or whatever that song was called.) the shakedancers are still around, i think, a very cool band, toured with the black crows a few years ago. great guys.

4. the who : the real me (of course) and my generation.

5. eagles: one of these nights - great bass line.

we used to play the beginning of mr.big's addicted to that rush before we played our first rush tune (we by far played more rush than any other band - probably around 40 songs worth).

6. scarified by racer x, that was a fun tune, a real wank fest

7. megadeth : peace sells, into the lungs of hell, hook in mouth.

8. metallica : motorbreath, 4 horsemen, creeping death, battery.

wow, what a trip down memory lane. i'm glad i don't do covers anymore.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Why, John? I heard you say "great fun" at least twice in your post, then you say you're glad you don't do covers anymore. Just curious.

I kind of like doing some covers. There are so many really good and fun songs out there that nobody really gets to hear, the radio is SO repetitious. The unfortunate thing, I think, is that alot of bands that play cover tunes, do those same radio songs! I prefer the more..obscure (or at least not really played on the radio much) tunes. Granted, we confuse the heck out of the audience, but what the hell.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I joined my first "all originals" band about 4-5 years ago; really, it is pretty awesome to compose something, hand it to your bandmates(on paper or cassette), have them play it, bring it to life, & eventually play it out LIVE. It's wayyy cool to record your tune & luck out enough to have it played, albeit, on local radio.
    The bad thing is putting your heart/soul into something & not getting a decent forum to showcase it; around here, C&W & Alternative Rock are it....& it better be covers.
    So, after awhile, burn-out settles in.
    Right now, I'd have a problem joining an all-covers' band...unless it was a project doing Jazz "cover" tunes ala Screaming Headless Torsos or Latin-izing, for example, Beatles' tunes(like Jeff Beck's version of "She's A Woman").

JT-
    "The Real Me", huh? That is fun(still). "The Punk Meets The Godfather" is also cool...Entwhistle is very Jamerson-esque on that cut.
    For Led Zep, give me their odd stuff("Four Sticks" & The Crunge") :D

...and one of these daze, I'll get around to learning A Rush tune! :D

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i haven't done covers in 10 years because i want to do my own stuff instead. i loved all these songs, they were the reason i started playing bass in the first place, but i got _SOOOOO_ tired of playing them over and over and over. we used to gig a lot, and it just got really old playing someone elses music, and knowing that i could be playing my own.

now that my present band is almost done with all of our original tunes, we are thinking of doing some covers, but these are going to be different in that they are songs that my old band would've never thought about doing, and instead of trying to make them identical to the original artist's version, like my old band prided itself on doing, we now are going to take songs that were popular but very different from us, and do them in a style more like our own original music. some of the songs we've been talking about doing are "white wedding" or "rebel yell" by billy idol, "games people play" by alan parsons, a duran duran song, maybe "rio", maybe an adam ant song,maybe a madness tune. one of the songs that i really like is Big Love by Fleetwood Mac/lindsey buckingham, or also by lindsey, "go insane".

we're toying with it right now - we don't want to do a song by any of the bands that we are directly influenced by, but instead do a song that is very different than us but do it our way (translation : busier drums and bass :D ).

17. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Well we only do one cover (unless you count the Queensrÿche tribute song.) And that's Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son." We do a dead-on cover, with all vocals - Scott sings the melodies, I sing the bridge and the high part in the chorus, and John sings the long high note at the end over the outro riff.

It always gets a great response, which is why we're phasing it out of our set. We don't want to be remembered as that band that did the kick-ass version of "Carry On." Plus, our lead singer (Danielle) isn't involved, it's not really our genre, and playing the song invariably leads to cries for "Skynyrd!" from the audience.

18. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The only thing I'm doing now is strictly cover stuff - mostly blues and R&B. Most of the bands I've been in have done a number of covers, many of them re-arranged. If I had to pick from the list, though:
    "Fool for a Pretty Face" - Humble Pie. The only song I ever learned the bass part note for note.
    "Something" - The Beatles. A very ramped-up version, heavy on drums and bass.
    "Superman, Superman" - Les Variations. French rock and roll, cool song.
    "Get on the Good Foot" - James Brown. I don't like James Brown, but this is a fun bass song.
    "Lies, Lies, Lies/Feelin' Alright" - JJ Cale/Traffic. Currently working up this pair...I gets to sang on this'un!
    "Burn" - Deep Purple. Sheer adrenalin. Fun stuff.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Gweimer-
    You don't like James Brown?!
    ..man, I'd like to play that Boosty/Stubblefield stuff all night long! Really, gettin' off in a groove w/ a drummer like that & I don't care what the vocalist is doin'! :D

20. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    JimK, I guess I should clarify that:
    I don't like listening to James Brown, but he is fun to play. Sort of musical gibberish across a solid funk platform. The first time I played "Get On the Good Foot", I'd forgotten the break, and found myself out on a ledge without a net; it was one of the best bass solos I ever did!