Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fav guitarists?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by let_your_soulfly, Aug 31, 2000.

1. let_your_soulfly

let_your_soulfly

Jul 28, 2000
    Toronto
    hey everyone,
    well we have had many discussions about who is the best bass player. but now in the off topic room, i would like to ask, who is everyone's favourite guitarist??

***oh by the way he has to be alive****

mine would have to be either kirk hammet(sp?) from metallica, the dude from pantera(damn he's good),and ummmmm.......man i just can't think right now....

thanks for the responses.....

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Malmsteen, Dimeola, Smith/Murray, Chastain, Michael Harris, Segovia, Impelliteri, Richards/Woods/Taylor/Jones, Downing/Tipton, Jesper Stromblad, Lukather etc etc

3. Good question..
    I like Alex Lifeson and Charlie Hunter the best.
    And the guitar player from my band.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Robert Fripp
    Steve Howe
    David Gilmour

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    crap, i forgot steve howe. uli roth/the schenkers/jabs, rik emmett..ok, that's enough for now

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Robert Fripp
    Adrian Belew
    Johnny Winter
    Zal Cleminson
    Chris Spedding
    John Cipollina
    Rick Nielsen
    Tony McPhee
    Andy Powell/Ted Turner/Laurie Wisefield
    Mick Ronson
    Ritchie Blackmore

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Steve Khan
    Mike Stern
    Scott Henderson
    Pat Martino
    "Blood" Ulmer
    Robben Ford

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    In no particular order:

Eric Johnson
    Alex Lifeson
    Allan Holdsworth
    Steve Morse
    Tuck Andress
    Robben Ford
    Neil Schon
    Tommy Simpson*
    Paul Shelton*

*(the last two are local guys, Tommy is an old friend who sadly never plays live and instead is one of the best guitar techs in the country, toured with Janet Jackson even. He sounds like the cross-pollenization of Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth, and Robben Ford. Paul is the guitarist in my present band, proves at every gig that rhythm guitar is an underappreciated art, very tasteful guitarist and a talented singer as well...and a terminal smart@$$ :D).

[Edited by Gard on 08-31-2000 at 01:41 PM]

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in no order

yngwie
    alex lifeson
    chet atkins
    steve morse
    mark knopfler
    steve howe
    elliot fisk
    pepe romero
    adrian belew
    robert fripp
    dave murray and adrian smith together

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would endorse Robert Fripp - lots of Jazz players haven't been mentioned like Wes Montgomery, Kenny Burrell etc. My current favourite of British Jazz guitarists is John Paricelli, who I was fortunate enough to meet and play with recently. Martin Taylor is another great British guitarist.

11. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Also in no particular order:

Jeff Beck
    Pat Metheny
    Mike Stern
    Jimmy Page
    Robin Trower
    Dave Murray & Adrian Smith ( as a team )
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Willie Nelson ( don't laugh! this guy has an amazing command of MELODY. Listen!)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    Soulfly asked to keep it "live"...no Wes, Christian, Pass, Grant Green, Hendrix, Terry Kath, etc.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Whoops - well keep it to the other 3 British guitarists I mentioned then, they're definiteley alive - I've seen them recently. Wasn't it Ed who said he only listened to dead musicians? ;)

PS Shouldn't this thread be in Miscellaneous, rather than OT as it's about music?

14. ...and I even know the answer to this one.

My faves are (in no particular order except for Morse)

Steve Morse - the total package. The only guitarist that still sends chills down my spine. Nobody composes solos like he does.

Carlos Santana - More soul than a roomful of Stax sidemen. It's a plus for me that his music is more ethnically driven than any of his contemporaries.

David Gilmour - Because he proves that you don't have to display technical pyrotechnics to get your point across.

Jeff Beck - Though he hasn't been in the forefront recently, his late 70's/early 80's stuff still makes me want to play. Really different for a lad from the realm.

Jimmy James - A new one for me. He is a Greek-by-birth Canadian blues man. More licks than a kennel of puppies (is that one too many metaphors?) He is one of those effortless players that has a zillion different tones in his hands.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Reasonable. I'm moving it, in a few hours. That will give everyone a chance to be aware of it's impending relocation, and my fellow moderator (you there JT?) a chance to comment, if he deems it necessary.

Oh, and someone made me realize I'd left someone out:

Pat Metheny, particulary his 70's stuff.

16. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Hey Sean, does'nt this look familiar?

Too many to list, but here are some that stand out to me.

-George Lynch
    -John Petrucci
    -Joe Satriani
    -Jimmy Page
    -Richie Blackmore
    -Michael Schenker
    -Gary Moore
    -Tony McAlpine
    -Neil Schon
    -Jack E. Lee
    -Vinnie Moore
    -SRV
    -Steve Morse
    -Allan Holdsworth
    -BB King
    -Jeff Beck
    -Randy Rhodes
    -Brad Gillis
    -Eric Johnson
    -Rick Emmitt

Sorry, I can't pick just one. I love the playing of all these guys for different reasons.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    YES, WE MUST MULTIPLY AND SPREAD ACROSS THE WASTES OF TALKBASS, FILLING THE FORUMS WITH OUR PROGENY, TILL OUR THREADS NUMBER LIKE THE STARS IN THE SKI AND THE SANDS ON THE BEACH.

SO IT IS WRITTEN. SO LET IT BE DONE. :D

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Hey John no offense but i have no idea what you ment by that [the main things on my mind are football & friends right now game in 4hrs]. My fav. guitarists are Kirk Hammet [Metallica] Santana [he's weird though] & Eric Clapton.

19. Pat Metheny,

Ty Tabor,

and Jon Herington, the guitarist currently touring with Steely Dan. He is simply AMAZING. :D

A little info, as you MUST check this guy out:

"Jon is a guitarist, composer, and producer who has been active on the New York music scene since 1985. His debut album on Pioneer's Glass House records, "The Complete Rhyming Dictionary" was released in 1992 and features eight of his own compositions as well as the brilliant playing of keyboardist Jim Beard, bassist Victor Bailey, drummer Peter Erskine, and percussionist Arto Tuncboyacian.

He has toured with the Jim Beard group, The Blue Nile, Phoebe Snow, saxophonist Bill Evans, the contemporary jazz superband Chroma, Lucy Kaplansky (of Cry, Cry, Cry), and, among others, jazz/blues organ great Jack McDuff."

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    "STARS IN THE SKI"????? :rolleyes:

Mr Co-Moderator, there are stars in your ski? Is it a water ski, or a snow ski???? And now back to the actual topic: Favorite guitarists, and the relocation of this post to Mr. Big Wheels domain...POOF....Miscelleanous here we come.

Oh, and to keep things on topic, another favorite of mine:

Pete Haycock