Fav hybrid amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Just wondering what is in your opinions the best hybrid amp head? For powering an ampeg 810E BTW.
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Aguilar DB 750.

Mesa/Boogie M2000 is nice, but no longer in production.
  3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yorkville XS400H. I don't like Ampeg 810E's though.
  5. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Aguilar DB750 Hands Down!
  6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Aggie DB 750, with the only close runner up an Eden WT-800. Except you can get some wicked sounds out of pre-power setups too...
  7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    +1 on the DB750.

Demeter's HB-600 is pretty cool too.
  8. I'm gonna throw the GBE600 (1200 seems wonderful but haven't tried one yet). I havent heard the DB750, but Aguilar gets tons of rave reviews so I imagine it is nice as well. But with my experience, the GBE600 is definately top shelf material as well, ESPECIALLY for the money.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well that's very very subjective.

and yeah, the 750 is darned good.

FWIW, "hybrid" heads are heads with a preamp that has at least one tube, and that have a solid state power section. a few heads call themselves "hybrid" and claim it's because they have both a solid state and a tube preamp section, but that's not the "official" understood meaning of hybrid, and FWIW, all those heads have SS power sections. just in case ya didn't know, the overwhelming majority of bass heads out there these days qualify as hybrids.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The DB 750 is a solid recommendation. But, I just came back from a practice where I was jamming through the M-2000 that I recently bought off of Benjamin Strange (via ebay), and this amp has really impressed me. I haven't gigged with it yet, but it's made it through several practices with different cabs and different basses. Tonight, I had my chambered MTD 535 and my EA CX-310 paired up with the M-2000, and boy howdy! I was a happy puppy! :D

On the smaller amp side, I really like the Walkabout, but I think you may want a bit more juice to drive that Ampeg.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  12. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Mesa BB750, Mpulse 600, and M2000 are all great.
  13. I used a M2000 for a while, and it really pumps... there are some issues... an overly fussy compressor circuit, the transistor preamp is rather dull sounding (although provides massive punch if you blend with the tube side,etc.) All in all a great head (actually my old one is for sale on the Thunderfunk site... it's literally new and was one of the last to run off the Mesa line).

The Mpulse600 (or BB750 if you want more grind and grit) is the best if you want your hybrid to sound more tube than transistor, IMO, and the Eden800(b) is an amazing, relatively modern sounding 'plug and play' that will run safely into 2ohms bridged at over a 1000 watts.

The AG750.... sounds great... (a little too open in the low end for my taste.. although I have limited experience with them...just a couple of 'sit in's) , but IMO no reason to carry around a head and rack that weighs 50 pounds any more with all the great high power hybrid and non-hybrid heads out there in the 15 ot 25 pound range (TF550, iAmp800, Epi920, etc.)... unless of course you just love the sound :D
  14. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Tech21 Landmark 600.

Every sound you could possibly want from tight hi-fi funk to full on growl and bite! :bassist:
  15. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
  16. Aguilar DB750 gets my vote.
  17. I've always liked the SWR SM900. There are some guys in my town that make those things sing like an angel and roar like a lion.
  18. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Sunn 1200S

I've only ran hybrids and full tubes and this amp is pretty nice with all the tone shaping.
  19. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    eden wt800!!!