Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FAV nickel roundwound ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by abriemzh, Apr 25, 2005.

1. tell me what is your favourite nickel roundwound string ....

i have tried several kinds of string, and confused what brand should i buy next time.
    looking for a long lasting, easy on hand, quite bright set of strings, on affordable budget.
    so far my fav is rotosound rb strings.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    no doubt, my current fav has to be the Sadowsky nickel roundwound. very fat, and yet with a sweet airy high end. not muffled at all. also, while the mids are kinda attenuated, makes for a hifi like sound, no matter the bass. also, cant beat the super smooth feel.

another cool string are the Zon nickels. a bit more midrange, which makes for a nice cutting sound. unfortunately, they dont last nearly as long as the Sadowsky's usually do for me.

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm interested in this. Joker, do those Sadowsky's have that harmonic ringing like a lot of other rounds? I don't care for that. I have a bass with TI Superalloys which sound nice a warm, but TI's just don't seem to do it for me. They're sort of like a Lexus sedan - high quality and comfort, yet staid and conservative. I had a Precision with DR LoRiders. Liked the strings, but the lows were almost too much for a pbass.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Yea, Those Sadowsky nickels.......

NICE strings.

I had Roger split the last 5 pack of steels I bought to include a set. They've been on the PJ5 for about a month so thats about 30 gigs and they're still going strong.

I can't seem to get more than 3 weeks out of a set of Steels.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm a big fan of DR Sunbeams. They sound bright, feel smooth and are just over $20.00 US. They can't be beat as far as nickels go, IMO.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I enjoy the D'Addario XL 45-105's. Haven't tried the Sadowsky's yet.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    D'adarrio XL .050-.105s are good on my P bass; no wimpy highs with these. I'm just now trying a set of EB Hybrid Slinkys (.045-.105) on my Jazz which may turn out to be very good.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i know this is a three month old thread... i just got the XL .05-.105s and i find that the g string has weird dead spots (most notably, the 9th fret and lower) that i didn't have with my ghs boomers. quite distressing, the intro to my michelle sounds like poo :( thought i'd try the sadowskys

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I haven't had that problem. I might suggest that you have a bad string.

Having said that, I just installed a set of TI Superalloys on my JO and I think I've found THE strings that I've been looking for.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Standard D'Addario XL 5 (.045 - .130) work well on my fretless 5er, which is the only bass I use nickels on as I'm more of a brighter steel sound type o' guy, but compromise a touch in terms of fretboard wear (I have a "treated" but not poly-coated board.) I'm also lucky to have a body chemistry that doesn't seem to kill strings quickly which I take into account, but I still get a good amount of time from them.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've used D'Addario XL's (.040-.095) for about 500 years now.

Sometimes I think about switching it up just for kicks.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've liked D'Addario XL Nickels, Sadowsky Bright Nickels, Ken Smith Bass Burners. The Sadowsky nickels do seem to be the brightest, but I didn't do a direct A/B with other nickels.

13. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I really like DR Sunbeams. Smooth, easy to find, and not too expensive. I would like to try Sadowsky strings sometime, but they cost more than I'm used to.

Do you Sadowsky users think Roger's strings last longer than other brands, or do you prefer them for their tone? Or both?

14. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Ernie Ball slinky, i dig it, very clear sound

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't played mine long enough to know how long they'll last compared to DR's.

16. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i bought a new g string, no difference i think i jsut don't like the XLs i'm gonna walk over to brooklyn tomorrow and check out roger's stuff...anyone know how much the bright nickels cost? ill just try ernie balls if its too much. dude i've never changed my strings so often...maybe ill just get some more stainless and let my fingers die again.

17. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    anybody used the SR2000's. how do they compare to the shadowsky?

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I like D'Addarios XLs and GHS Boomers, both 45-65-85-105.
    The Boomers have a bit more low end and less tension than the XLs. They also have less tension than DRs, which are also good, come to think of it.
    Sorry-- I'm not familiar with anything fancier.

19. I use Rotosound RotoBass strings and have been pleased. Although, they are the only nickels I've used, so I have nothing to compare them against. But at $16 a pack...

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    TI Superalloys and DR nickel hi beams