Fav Nickel Wound String???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 28, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just curious as to any nickel round wounds i might have missed.

been a long time Labella Slappers user, but i wanna try something different.
  2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    DR Sunbeams! These are excellent nickel-wounds, and long-lasting too.

SwingBass NickelWounds are pretty decent in a pinch also.
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    A vote for DR Nickel Lo Riders.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Never used anything but their fours but TI Powerbass are my faves. Nothing else even close. Massive output, great feel, low-tension, full-range harmonics and they just ring like a bell. Tone to the bone.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It depends on what kind of tone I am looking for....I really like D'Addario Slowounds once they break in. They are smooth and warm sounding(if you are going for a less "hi-fi" tone). :)
  6. For a P or J bass the D'Addario Slowounds have a big meaty tone that really suits the instruments. On the other hand, if you're stringing your exotica the LowRiders or Sunbeams would prolly do it for you. I'm anxious to try the TIs but they are impossible to get here.
  7. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I like to the DR Sunbeams :cool:
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for Slowounds.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys!

lots of great suggestions.

i'm kinda looking for something to compliment the Bart jbass pickups in my Elrick, so i'll give the D'Addario's a try, BUT i'm a not a fan of them, cause they've given me horrible experiences with my guitars.

i'd love to try the TI's, but they dont a long scale 5 string set. :(

and i'm no longer a DR fan, cause they've been really inconsistent with me for both bass and guitar. my last DR Blues & Sunbeam set were dead in the pack.
  10. D'addario XL's after a week of breaking in they sound great. They are a perfect match with my Alvarez 6er, nice fingerstyle tone, decent slap tone, and darn good feeling
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    DR lowriders for me.
    Dean Markey blue steels are my #2 :bassist:
  12. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I dig Dean Markley Blue Steels. They last and last and last.
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I use D'addario medium lights, and I think Ben uses them too so if you don't like em you have two people to give em to :p