1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fav Pickups for Fretless???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 2, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

i'm thinking about having Nino build me a fretless bass. was thinking about just getting a nice grindy fat jazz style pickup, but what others would you guys put into a custom fretless 4?

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I'm partial to the Bartolini 9j's...
    I actually just recently took them out of my fretless jazz to try some Jason Lollar single coils, but I plan on putting them back.
    I love Jason Lollar singles in my fretted jazz, but I really got used to the barts in this particular fretless bass.
    Hey, now I know...
    A couple of pickups that intrigue me are the Nordstrand humcancelling j's, and the humcancelling LIndy Fralins.
    Good luck, Nino's work looks fantastic!

3. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Well, I have two Sadowsky humbucking jazz pickups in my fretless, and it sounds amazing. It's not as grindy given my use of flats, but is exactly the sound in my head when I thought of how I wanted a fretless bass to sound.

You're right to think about this in a different frame of reference because it's fretless, as this bass sounds completely different from my other Sadowsky (doing a direct jazz pickup to jazz pickup) comparison. Somehow, I guess vibrating along the wood seems to give it a rounder sound.

Are you going ebony?