Fav Pop Bass Lines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 21, 2004.

1. top 2
    1. Chic - Good Times
    2. Dee Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
    Outkast - So Fresh So Clean
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Police - Spirits in the Material World (just try to play and sing that at the same time - I dare you!)
    TLC - Waterfalls (completely improvised first take!)
    Seal - Colour (just plain weird)
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I actually wanted to start a "Who played bass on this" thread for this song...

"Cuts you Up" By Peter Murphy (I think). Some dude with a fretless and he plays it with a bow and it sounds beautiful.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have too many to list but i'll say that i "accidentally" heard "toxic" by Brittany Spears and dug the bass line quite a bit. :bag:
  6. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Anything by Duran Duran.
  7. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    combat baby by metric
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1, them & Power Station... Some Like it Hot...

But, right now, I'm kinda liking Lets get Retarded! by Black Eye Peas
  9. "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" by Diana Ross. The Bass Line on that is something else.
  10. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    The Real Me by the Who
  11. Yeah, "accidentally." Sure.

I accidentally heard it while listening to the radio and um... I accidentally "bumped" the button and it accidentally changed and... umm... Man, she's so hot in that stewardess outfit in that video!!!
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That Bass mag from the U.K. recently ran a "Best 20 Basslines of Pop" or sumthin like that.
    Both your choices made the list; "Good Times" may have been numero uno...the thing is Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" also made the cut. Isn't that line like "Good Times"-lite?

"Come Together" was their choice by The Beatles.
  13. "Every Kind Of People," by Robert Palmer (Bob Babbitt on bass :cool: )

"Christmas Wrapping," by the Waitresses. Naturally, they only play the song around Christmastime, and even then, not all that much. A very odd, yet catchy bassline. www.hardcafe.co.uk/waitresses/records.htm

Mike ;)
  14. nothing alike, well to my ears anyway
  15. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    actually i was fully fully fully digging the string arrangement on that tune - brilliant and the best i've heard in a longtime on a pop record. can't actually remember what the bass was doing as I get so excited by the strings everytime its on!!!!

16. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'll be honest, I dig the Toxic bassline. Some of my other favorites are Man in a Suitcase by The Police and Rebel Rebel by David Bowie.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "I'll Take you There" - The Staple Singers
  18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :meh: how's about Jamiroquai?
  19. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

Would be even better w/o Brittany! *coughs*skank*coughs* :eek: :D I simply jest *snicker*

Which reminds me of the "Cooliedance" rhythm that Nina Sky sing over on "Move ya body"... so much better w/o the vocals.... though there are some good tunes w/vocals that use that rhythm....