Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fav preamps to use with Bergie cabs? & Road trip to BergieLand

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, May 9, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    OMG!!!! I had a religious experience today.

I finally got to make a road trip from Mt. Pleasant, TX to Dallas (actually Garland) to Larry Morgan Music. They are the closest hi-end bass store to me (two hour drive). The main cabs I wanted to hear were the Bergantinos. The first cabs I saw were an HT310 sitting on top of an HT212. I took my StingRay 5 along for the ride & they hooked up an Alembic F-1X to a QSC PLX1602 (just one channel--500W@4ohm--they seemed reluctant to bridge it for me--not sure why) to the 3x10.

I fully believe that my tone search has found its holy grail. All my expectations were so totally blown away by this rig.

I restrung my bass last week with some DR Low-Riders and they sounded pretty amazing already (compared to the Ernie Balls I had used before). But I had no idea that my bass could sound so good. I have always had questions about its midrange and have most of the time used a fair bit of cut on the treble control. Not with this rig. sMOOOth!!! Awesome bottom to top. Really solid, powerful, articulate low-end; punchy kick-in-the-gut mid-bass, and smooth, smooth, smooth all the rest of the way up. Any setting on my bass sounded musical and before I had only found about three settings that I thought were usable.

I still can't believe the sound these speakers pumped out.

I listened to the HT212s and maybe it was the demo room we were in (it was kind of long and narrow), they sounded really good, but just heavier down low without the mid-bass punch of the 3x10s. I think they would have sounded a lot better in a bigger room. The HT310s just stole my heart. I'm very probably ruined for anything else, but they didn't have an HT322 in stock so I haven't heard it yet.

OK, enough of my blithering. What I would like to know is what you Bergie owners like to use as preamps in your rigs and why (as well as comparisons to other preamps you may have tried in the past).

I am considering getting and bridging a QSC RMX1850HD for the power amp.

Cool?

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, sounds like pure heaven. :bassist:

but i like my Demeter for a glossy, hifi, and articulate feel.

Kern's IP777 for that similar gurgly, glossy, smooth feel of the Alembic.

and Aguilar's DB680 for a sweetly aggressive with a bit of hair, yet punchie funk to the gut.

my fav? hmm... hard to say... but the Demeter does rock.

and EA amps in general are just AMAZING with Bergie cabs.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the info.

Have you heard an iAmp-800 with Bergies?

[Another possibility I am considering.]

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dunno,

but my iAMP350 was simply gorgeous with my old HT112 that i just sold to Narud.

glossy, round, and bold... soooo nice...

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've heard some say that the iAmp-800 is a lot warmer sounding than the previous iAmps.

800W->4 ohm with lots of headroom...sounds interesting.

I mainly would like an amp or preamp that makes the most of the HT310's solid, powerful, fast low-end and still retain the smoothness I heard (with the F-1X) from the midrange up.

6. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    I use an Ashdown ABM 400 head with my HT310 and MTD 535. It has all the punchy lows you could handle and has a nice smooth top end. I love it. I initially had a Demeter/QSC set up, but I wanted more lows. The Ashdown delivers.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In various combinations with HT112, HT115 and HT210, I use:

Demeter 201S
    Kern 777
    Aguilar DB659
    Ampeg SVP

Hard to pick a fave, really depends on the room, the bass, etc. The Demeter is very good, however.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Also, since the dealer didn't have an HT322 in stock, could someone familiar with both it and the HT310 try to break down the difference in the tone between these two cabs.

I know both cabs have some distinctive colorations going on, but the ones that the HT310 has seem to be spot on for my tastes. It is really difficult for me to imagine the HT322 sounding better.

9. i have a 322 and 210 with a qsc power amp and i've used the F2B, demeter, and avalon u5 through them. i bought the cabs from a dealer here in ft. lauderdale and he had a 310 there also. to my ears, the 322 seemed to be a bit fuller in the lower mids, maybe because of the 12?

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I mainly use a Demeter/QSC with my Bergies, but they sound great with any of my other preamps too.
    Bergies are just great sounding cabs!!!!!

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How does the Demeter compare to the F-1X from the very bottom up to the mid-bass?

And, which Demeter sounds best?

12. IMO, the demeter is not as thick or supportive in the low's as the alembic unit is. don't get me wrong, you can get decent low end out of the unit, especially if the bass your playing has a little 'R' on the headstock :), but to me the demeter has a tight low end, quick mids, with a smooth airy sheen on the top which makes it quite desirable for certain situations, while the alembic is just plain old fat sounding in the low end and sounds a little more scooped in the mids. just my opinion.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use the Alembic F2B I've owned since 1985 or so. I used to augment it with a TC 1140 four-band parametric, but lately it's just been the F2B. I like *having* more tweakability than the F2B provides (three band EQ plus bright switch), but I realize that with the Bergs, I don't really need it.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I asked the same question recently.

Demeter........VTBP-201s or HBP-1?

There's also some good comments on the F1-X in that Thread.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Bergs sound good with anything!:bassist:

I'm getting an IAMP800 very soon and I'll let you know how it sounds with different Berg cabs.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Heh! To help prove that point: I invited a bassist I got to know at a local open mic night to sit in with my band sometime, so tonight he showed up with his bass: a Samick fretless strung with Roto flats. It sounded incredible! I give credit to the player of course, but my Bergantino cabs definitely get an assist.

[​IMG]
    Bill

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Good info in that thread; thanks.

Based on everything I've heard, I am leaning toward the VTBP-201S at the moment. I can set the bass control on the Dem to 120Hz for subtle room-related compensation and use my SR5's bass for adjusting the very low-down stuff. "Tight" in a pre's bottom should go very good with either Berg. That same dealer where I auditioned the Bergs has Demeters. I gotta go back as soon as they get an HT322 in-store anyway to compare it to the HT310.

My main concern between the 322 and 310 is balancing a really solid and tight low-end with the right amount of warmth in the bottom two octaves.

I really did like the overall tonal balance the 310 had. The only mitigating factor there could be how the two cabs project say forty or fifty feet out from the stage. I realize that on-stage sound and in-audience sound can be totally different.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One of the great advantages to the Bergantinos is that they sound even better as you stand further away from them. They just seem to blossom. The 322 is a really tight sounding cabinet with the advantage of stronger low mids. This cab really kicks you in the chest. I highly recommend the 322.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    took the words right outta my mouth...

20. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    WoW...that is so true! I have the Bergie 2 x10 and 1 x15 combo with demeter 201/QSC. They sound great playing a little further away from them..... especially with my Benaventes! Big phat sound..great slap tone!