fav. ska songs??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by basserman44, Jul 21, 2000.

1. i was wonderring everyone's favorite ska songs, because i was wanting to make a mix and dont know any bands, thanx

Keep on thumpin

2. i have a fondness for "beer" by reel big fish. a lot of songs on that cd are good.

we hope you are ok.
  3. pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    'She's Got a Girlfriend Now'
  4. Dub-man

Mar 3, 2000
    Check everything from Skatalites!! The best ska band ever. You should get their 2 cd collection (Heartbeat records). It has all hits like Heavenless ++
  5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    the origianal recordings of Bob's "easy skankin"
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's a ska(?) song on Mr.Bungle's debut that hit me right between the eyes...
  7. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Catch 22's song "Kristina" off the
    Keasbey Nights cd.
    Another great ska song is
    Victory Over Peterbones by Reel big fish.
    Save Ferris's Good-bye and Come on Eileen
    are also very good. And you can't forget
    the Toasters "dont let the ba*tards grind ya down.

See ya and good luck with the mix,
    Greg P
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Devils Night Out

9. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I hope I'm not an idiot here, but isn't No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom album ska? If it is, then you should just pick up that whole cd cuz it's pretty awesome. It's like one of those cd's that you must have in your collection. But I believe it is ska. So just pick that cd up and listen to it. It's a good buy and you should find some ska songs on there. The bass lines are pretty sweet too! :)
  10. snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    yea orca, i think it IS ska, butt some people lable it pop<br><br> anyways, u gotta check out SkaDaddyZ remake of "hotel calliforna", its really great, i listened to it on mp3.com's ska radio, listen to that if u want to get some good ska bands. <p> from no doubt, i like<br>Im just a girl<br>spiderwebs<br>and some other songs off tragic kingdom<br>i also like simple kind of life and ex-girlfrend by no doubt too<p>SKA RULZ<p> check out Distorted penguins, buck-o-nine, ska daddyz, and maybe some of the older ska bands, like the freddie notes and te rudeboys(is that right? some of u "older guys" who were around could check that out)and maybe some other stuff (maytals, and skatalites) <p> piece out
  11. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    Skatalites - Simmer Down
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Do you want more the ska/core or ska/punk kinda stuff? If so, everything mentioned so far is great! Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Skankin Pickle, Catch 22, Five Iron Frenzy, Dance Hall Crashers, MU330, LESS THAN JAKE, etc...
    My personal faves will always be Less Than Jake and Skankin Pickle.
    If you want some of the older stuff, check out The Selecter or Judge Dread. I really love Judge Dread's stuff! GREAT sense of humor!

I see you're from Ft. Walton Beach...have you ever checked out some of the Pensacola or Mobile bands? One of my bands was doing the best ska thing on the gulf coast, but "times they are a-changin'." :(
  13. *meatwad voice on*
    Oh Boy! My own rudeboy ska action figure! I luuuuuuuuuuv ska, I'd eat it more often, but shake's been puttin' cockaroaches in the fridge again!*
    *meatwad voice off*

Anything by the Pilfers

"Mass Appeal Madness"
    Spring-Heeled Jack

"History Book"
    "Decision at Midnight"
    "2-Tone Army"
    "I wasn't gonna call you anyway"
    The Toasters

"Don't knock the baldheads"
    Bad Manners

"Run Away"
    "Asian Prodigy"
    The Chinkees

"Raw Fish"
    "Hoosier Love"

Plus anything by the Pilfers, most songs by LTJ, Mustard Plug and hell, anything by all the above too!
  14. definitely!
    sublime- same in the end
    sublime- date rape
    sublime- the ballad of johnny butt
    sublime- april 26 1992
    well, you get the idea. i like sublime quite a bit.
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Hard Man For Dead" & "Ten Commandments of Love" - Prince Buster.
  16. dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    2 Bands: Five Iron Frenzy and Less Than Jake
    Both are extremely amazing...and with religious music, there is no better band than Five Iron Frenzy (who I recently found out is actually going to break up and has a farewell tour starting this fall):bawl: :bawl:
  17. Any first generation Ska or second wave of ska is good by me,,but this new and very stale ska totally reeks!!! No Doubt..He he he,, you have got to be kidding me???:bawl:

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

called..."Intensified!" Original Ska from 1962-1966.

It's almost all horns. With songs like:

"Teenage Ska"
    "Rocket Ship"
    "University Goes Ska"
    "James Bond"
    "The Higher the Monkey Climbs"

If you are a fan of Ska. Get this record! It is so rustic and fun. Well played, but not perfect.

It's on Island Records, and here's a pic of the album cover.
  19. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    op ivy's "real" record, less than's pezzcore album

other than that i dont like much ska. ska-core the devil and more by the 'tones wasnt too bad.