fav Tool album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by olps, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Opiate

4 vote(s)
  2. Undertow

3 vote(s)
  3. Aenima

31 vote(s)
  4. Salival

1 vote(s)
  5. Lateralus

24 vote(s)
  6. I like em all, apples and oranges

20 vote(s)
  1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Whats your favourite Tool album, and why?
  2. Aenima, I like every non-filler song in there, therefor it's my favorite.
  3. joke

Sep 17, 2001
    My Favourite Tool album would be Lateralus. I went out and bought it as soon as I heard Schism. I love every song on it, which isnt true for all of their albums, so I guess Lateralus is my favourite.
  4. Aenima- Because every song on that cd isn't worth skipping, the whole cd is really good! Lateralus was pretty good though, especially The Grudge.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Lateralus by far. Really shows that the band is this generation's Pink Floyd. Not saying they are better or worse than Floyd, but they are this era's Floyd.

The filler did get annoying on Aenima. I don't mind some non musical tracks for conceptual purposes, but it got a little to much on that CD.
  6. I had to vote for Aenima, even though I love Lateralus and Undertow almost equally.
  7. I love em all! See I go through "cravings." Its when a random Tool CD will just sound appealing at the moment. It usually lasts for a week or so, then I move on to another CD. Right now its Undertow. But Of course I voted for 'em all.
  8. twang

Jul 10, 2002
    Plainfield CT
    i think tool is so good but their best album would have to be lateralus
  9. aenima. i don't like the production on lateralus, no dynamics.
  10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    This is a little off topic but has anyone listened to Lateralus with a HDCD decoding player? I'm wondering what kind of difference it makes.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whoa, thought i was the only one who thought that. i tell people all the time that tool is what floyd was.
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    AEnima wins by a hair for me,, I love Lateralus,, but their are simply more songs on Aenima,, so it gives me a little more listening pleasure. Also,, the drums on AEnima seem to be a little more in my face,, i love that.
  14. SquattingDog

Oct 8, 2001
    No, you're not the only one. I've told many people that, too.
  15. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    theyre all different, and thus they all rock more than each other, cancelling out the advantage each has over the other. I love tool. :cool:
  16. MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    aenima and lateralus rank about equal for my favorite tool cd(s). Aenima has more 'fill' tracks with no real music (cool non-the-less) but the track to track music quality is slightly slightly better than lateralus in my opinion. Both are incredible cds.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think their loud/soft dynamics are much more present and better executed on AEnima. I think it's a but more agressive than Lateralus as well.
  18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I can't really vote because I have only been able to listen to Lateralus and Ænima.
    I love them both:)
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    aggressive=better? well, to each his own...

i like the way each song in LATERALUS is produced. some may say that the porage is too hot, but i say it's just right. (uh-oh. did i just open myself up for an al gore comparison?)

i like "stinkfist"...but i think the whole "loud/soft" dealy y'allz seem to love is kinda contrived. it's like they asked each other "well, what can we do for the pre-chorus? hmm...the verse is kinda soft..."

it just comes off to me that way.

(that arguement isn't as strong as i'd liked it to have been, but oh well)

in fact, when i asked a friend what tool was like, he said that they were one of those bands that had soft vocals in verse, screaming in chorus. ya know, kinda like korn or what have you. he only had listened to aenima at that point too.

um...i'm really scatter-brained aren't i? (i'm writing like i speak...)

long story short, lateralus is just higher-minded. the subject matter over all is consistently intelligent and challenging and choc full of allusions to obscure or semi obscure things (which i love...makes me do research!). no "hookers with peni" there...well, save for "ticks.." but i've gone on the record saying that if that track were pulled from the cd that it would be perfect.

the most superb (ie-lateralus worthy!) songs off of aenima are "H." and "third eye." they sound like warm ups for the grudge and the trio of disposition, reflection and triad.

but really, i just can't seem to comprehend how people like "aenima" better than lateralus. i know that it's their opinions, after all, though...
  20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I think the whole "dynamics are not present on lataralus" is a load of crap to. if you dont think their dynamics, listen "the patient" and tell me that the intro is not ten times more soft than the rest of the song. i think it's all in you's guy's heads.