fave non fender passive bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flamer, Jul 31, 2003.

1. flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england

I've played (and owned) a few active basses, and for some reason i just don't get on with them!

Anyways, I'm tempted to get another passive bass (i already own a P.) i just wondered what other passive basses asides from fenders that people like to use?!

2. hey flamer,

i recommend Rickenbacker. if you've never tried one, go out nd give 'em a shot, amazing sound, amazing tone, amazing playability. i bought a RIC 4003 about 12 months ago and haven't looked back since. i wish i could've found a 4001 in decent condition, but ahh well.

good luck, happy bassin'!
  3. Hi, well, my favourtite passive bass of the moment is my Yamaha Attitude! Maybe not non Fender enough - as Billy Sheehan worked with Yamaha to create this sig series model based on his P-bass!
  4. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
  5. I'm not a big fan of fenders, but try an active J-bass - considering that it's a fender, that thing has slammin tone.
  6. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Dean Jeff Berlin Czech Republic models...possibly the best mid range "growl" (when you solo the bridge pickup)sound for fingerstyle I've ever heard.
  7. Flamer, if you like P-basses, you'll probably like the Epiphone Jack Casady bass. They definitely don't feel like a Precision, but, they can achieve sounds from almost acoustic-like to very grundgy.

Check them out: www.casadybass.com

8. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Lakland Joe Osborne sig.
  9. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Let us not forget Gibson's one kick-ass bass, The Thunderbird! T-bird bass

Big Bottom!

10. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    any really high end passive basses anyone can think of?
  11. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Any of you guys with Bassplayer mag subscriptions may want to do a little back tracking on this. I recall reading a review on a high-end bass that used passive pickups and no preamp. It was an option that was actually more expensive than the active option. Apparently its a pretty snazzy system that suppose to be excellent. But for the life of me I just can't remember what the hell bass it was! All I knew was that price-wise it was well out of my league!

12. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hold it, hold it, hold it! Now I remember, it was a 5 string version of the Modulus Graphite Flee bass! I just looked it up and apparently the passive option has 2 Villex passive J pickups with vol/vol/mid/passive tone controls. I think the Bass Player review raved about it. All I know if that the bass was expensive enough but this option it was like an additional $250! I mean, its actually more expensive than the Bartolini and Seymour options. Must be one heck of a tone.

13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out the Emperor II 6 string on the Fodera site.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Rickenbacker without a doubt! I own a 4000 series, only one pick up but is still very grumpy for a passive!
  15. Dingwall Afterburners are passive.
    They also have a neat little series/parallel switch too...
  16. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Someone suggested the G&L SB which are great. However G&L have put their spin on a Jazz bass too. Its called the JB-2 G&L link

Looks great, I know it's gotten good reviews and has a haul mess of options.

17. Highend passive bass:
    LeFay "Herr Schwarz" (if i remember correctly it is passive)
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the original Jeff Berlin signature bass, a Peavey Palaedium. From what I've read here it's a step up from the Deans (though I own a Korean Dean Edge 5 fretless which I love and have a great deal of respect for Deans in general).

The Palaedium has really fantastic tone and is totally passive. I prefer passive, except on an acoustic/electric like my Tacoma.