Favorite Acoustic Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gojirin, Jan 12, 2005.

1. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I walked into our local GC yesterday just to catch up on magizines and walked out with an Ibenez ABG that has been on the GAS list for awhile. When a chain want to get rid of something, they don't fool around...

The strings on it are unknown bronze, well worn in and sounding good(cleaned 'em with denat alchohol). My past experience with the bronze acoustic strings is that they are too "ringy" and sometimes downright bright. I have a set of TI jazz flats that I might try(I don't want to cut them, though) and am thinking of ordering a pair of TI Acoustics.

Doing a search for acoustic string preferences brought up little. There are a bunch of interesting strings for acoustic bass, like the black ones I saw in an ad with Chuck Rainey.

Any opinions pro or con on ABG strings?
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I prefer the Phosper Bronze strings,cause I play un-plugged
    and they give me the most volume. As you said,thay are a bit "Zingy" so I just leave them on forever and they mellow out with age.I have 4 different ABG's and use them on all
    of them. :)
  3. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I may as well stick with the ones on there, then. Thanks for the reply! Jon
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Yeah they will mellow out. There probably GHS or D'addario
    If you put a regular Steel or Nickel string on your Volume drops way off.Some songs I play fingerstyle and some with
    different gauge pics to get a different tone. :)
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I use Daddario XL strings on my Tacoma 5 string and they are a huge improvement over the stock strings. Its a much warmer sound now and its not obnoxiously zingy like before.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    SO far I like TI Jazz Flats best on my ABG. I'd say give them a try. I do have some issues with TI JFs, but everything else I've tried has been worse. Soon I plan to give tapewounds a whirl. The only thing that's kept me from doing that before now is the relatively difficulty of finding them in a 6 string set.