Favorite Amp(s) with Fearful-type cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liveburning274, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MOAR JUICE : Preamp/Poweramp all the way!!

20.0%
  2. TUBE AMP : Because there is nothing else...

8.6%
  3. CLASS D : Light. Powerful. And no broken backs.

68.6%
  4. BI-AMPING : Life is best when everything is plugged in

2.9%
  1. liveburning274

liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    What amps are everyone using nowadays days with these cabs? I haven’t seen a recent spot or thread where this talked about lately and it seems there’s so many new options in the amp world.

Pre/power amp setups still the best way to go? What luck is anyone finding with the newer world of higher wattage Class D amps? Anyone been able to coax all of their old school tube-amp happiness out of a fearful?

blip likes this.
  2. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    None of the above? I use a GK 1001RB-i with my F115. IMO it's the perfect amount of power (340w into 8ohm), and it's an amp that I can run up to and past its clean power limits without fear of Bad Things(R) happening - it just seems to get warmer/grittier, not to mention louder, the more I turn it up.

For that older-school tone, I have my SansAmp VTDI in front of the amp. IMO I love the combination of the three: amp, cab, and VT. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  3. liveburning274

liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Wow...Can't believe there's not more traction on this? I feel like there is so much Fearful/Fearless praise around here.

4. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I just got a f112, and just using the minimega that I was using for the 12/6/1 before. I had thought about getting something different though. I like the idea of better power, but really I have no complaints. Its loud enough so far.

5. liveburning274

liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Awesome! What's potentially steering you away from the Minimega? Just curious.

6. DanGR

DanGR

Jan 2, 2012
    Grand Rapids MI
    I use a Markbass Ninja 1,000 watt for my F112. No complaints. Fearful/Fearless love power.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I couldn't vote for all of the first 3 choices, which is my actual answer.

I've used a Mesa Subway D-800, an ART pre racked with a Crest ProLITE 3.0 non-dsp, a Mesa Prodigy, and a GK MB800. My gigs are usually a Psychobilly trio (upright), a 10 member gospel group (active 5-string), and a 5-piece Reggae band (passive Jazz). I've used each of the heads with most of the bands. The cab is usually a 12/12/6/1, though I've also used a 15/6/1 (with and without a 15sub), a pair of complementary baffle 15/6/1s, and a 12/6/1.

If you need to really use what a 4 ohm 12/12/6/1 or an 8 ohm 15/6/1 cab or two can do, I'd recommend a pre with a sizable power amp, unless you can count on good PA support—I usually can't. However, if the venue is small, it's not Reggae, and I'm using the 4 ohm cab, the 800 watt heads are plenty. Recently, I used the Prodigy (~200+ watts @ 4 ohms), and was a little short on clean power, but I didn't feel compelled to switch to my 800 watt Subway back up.

So, it all depends. I should also add that I am pretty obsessed with having tons of volume and clean lows on tap, even if I don't end up needing them.

Can you tell? :roflmao:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    BadExample likes this.
  8. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm not sure. I really don't have any complaints, but would like a little more headroom, and I feel like my time is a little tinny. But, that could be a few things. I think I just want to try something different, really

9. liveburning274

liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Great! Thanks for your reply. It's nice to hear from someone who has been using multiple heads through the Fearful gear. Any thoughts on how the Mesa or GK gear sound with these cabs over more traditional cabs? Does the Prodigy keep that warm tube-ness like what you traditionally hear?

What pushed you toward Markbass? I've wanted to like their gear but always felt like I'm fighting with the controls when I've demo'd them. But I blame my inexperience with them as a viable contributor to that problem.

10. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    The reality is that they work well with any amp. It’s a common misconception that they need a lot of power, the reality is that while they can handle a lot of power, but still perform well with small amps. Lots of power just brings them to the next level.
    To answer the question, I generally use a Puma 900 or a Demeter Pre / Crown XTI-2002 combo.

lowdownnotes, Jim Carr, blip and 2 others like this.
  11. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I use my Genzler MG800 with no issues. This cab puts out whatever this amp can throw it. I get tons of compliments on my deep clear tone. Oh and it just so happens that the post above mine is the builder of my F112 @popgadget

Zbysek likes this.
  12. blip

blip

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    I'm using a Yamaha PB1 into a Peavey IPR2 2000 DSP with my nEarful 12/6 (neo Avatar 126 with CBG xover). The PB1 gives me all the clean gain I could ever want without a hint of distortion. One power amp channel @ 8 ohms gives me 300W or so and easily fills any bar I play. Crisp, punchy, full-range reproduction of all the dirt I feed it, as well as chest-swelling lows for when I play clean.

For me, this is a great low cost setup that sounds fantastic. If I had all the money, I guess I'd be tempted to try some of the class D heads. I'd likely pick up a second cab first, though.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Honestly, when I used the Prodigy with an SWR goliath II 410, one of the original and sweeter low-mid bump 410 cabs, it sounded righteous with a P-bass strung with pyramid flats. Then again, anything with that cab and bass would sound pretty righteous.

Furthermore, IMHO the idea that "warm tube-ness" is only available from an all tube amplifier is mistaken. The Mesa D-800, ART tube-channel 259/ProLITE amp, and even the vaunted GK MB800 all have features that make them plenty warm. I've used the GK a lot with a 15/6/1, and it was fine, though I felt I could use a little more power for a "loud-ish" Reggae band—so I got a Crest Prolite 3.0 non-dsp with the ART 259 tube channel for that. Yet, as noted above, fEARful/Fearless cabs sound fine with lower powered amps. It's not the tone, it's the loudness that is limited. When needing lot's of volume, you may run into clipping from the amp if it doesn't have enough power. I found I could clip a Mesa M9 carbine when powering two 15/6/1 cabs in a loud situation. Yes, really.

That said, are you concerned that not having a conventional cabinet with "low mid love handles" will somehow neuter your tube sound? Well, only you you can decide that, but a Prodigy is really not enough power to make any fEARful sing at full volume, IMHO. Oh, it's fine and lovely for a packed small venue with a reasonable volume level, but with a 4 ohm fEARful 12/12/6/1 or an 8 ohm 15/6/1, the ~200 "tube watts" (snort) is not really enough to take advantage of the clean low end and loudness that is available. It (the amp) will fart out. Yes, I said that.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  14. DanGR

DanGR

Jan 2, 2012
    Grand Rapids MI
    Believe it or not, what pushed me towards Markbass was the tone from the XLR direct out. A local bass player friend told me he got a Markbass Little Mark III head years ago. He normally has a terrible tone IMO. When I went to hear him/it I was blown away by the tone coming through the PA. I then bought one blind off GC used. Three Markbass heads later, I still prefer it to anything. My trick with the tone controls is to simplify things. I turn the VLE and VPF completely off. I run things almost flat with a little bass and low mid boost. Sounds great and I get a full, warm, punchy tone. Very tube-like.

Zbysek likes this.
  15. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    My approach is exactly the same. I could sign your every word...

DanGR likes this.
  16. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    The PB1 is a great preamp and an incredible value on the used market.

blip and wave rider like this.
  17. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Skjold Artist
    I am using a Mesa Subway D800. I also have a GK MB Fusion 800. The GK /F112 combo is super loud. More power than I would ever need. The Subway sounds great at all volumes.

18. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I have used the mbf500 with a 15/6, it slammed. Then moved onto 2× 12/6 with mesa subway d800. I found the mesa super articulate and a great match with the cabs. Sold one 12/6 and bought a crest prolite 3.0 and Jule Amps Monique preamp. This has been, by far, the best setup i have come across. Beautiful tube tone from the monique coupled with outrageous power from the prolite. With that setup, i have heard the 12/6 bottom out a few times but i was digging in pretty hard(generally not normal)

lowdownnotes and jeff7bass like this.
  19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    In Bass Gear magazine they tested a fEARful 12" 3-way cab and 15" 3-way cab together with a Carvin B1500 head sitting on top. Of course it kicked major ass, but I kinda wished they had my BX-1200 to test them with because it has two amps (400w each in bi-amp mode) and an active crossover built-in. Would have been interesting. Two volume knobs, you set the cutoff (bottom cab to top cab) for the ultimate in flexibility.

20. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Given that both cabs are equally capable full-range, I do have to wonder what benefits, if any, that might have provided. Just thinking out loud.

jeff7bass likes this.