Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Amp setup with MM StingRay5?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Hi all...

I just started playing a SR5, and after years of playing jazz basses, I'd like to know what the hot setup is for this kind of bass. I am currently playing it through a SVT-Pro preamp to a QSC and the Ampeg PR-1528 cab.

My thoughts are that the highs get kind of crushed in this setup. Would something like an SWR Grand Prix or G-K setup be a better match for the tone of this bass?

Thanks!
    Scott

2. A friend of mine uses a trace (gxm12 ?) head with a trace 410. swears by it. he also uses an MM, though I think its 4 str.

3. It depends on what YOU think the SR sound is supposed to be like...

If you think it's Flea's tone, he redefined SR tone by using Gallien Krueger heads and Mesa cabs, if I remember correctly.

If you think it's Tony Levin's tone, I'm pretty sure he played Trace Elliot.

I use mine through a Mesa 400+ and a Berg NV610...but that rig could make most any bass sound like "anvils smashing on concrete"*

- For what it's worth, you've got a solid rig with a lot of flexibility. I think you should spend some more quality time with it, twiddling knobs and EQ settings, before you just swap it out for something else.

*paraphrased from some other fella's post...even though he meant it as a bad thing.

4. When I play through the SVT-Pro preamp, it's really warm and tubey sounding, but does not sound very modern and bright. When I bypass the tubes, it sounds more like an SWR, which seems a little closer to the right sound for this bass. With my Jazzes or Modulus, that tube sound was spot on, but I think I want a little more modern sound....

Scott

5. Then I'd say go and test drive preamps. You've got a great power amp, so now you should just look around and find something you like. Gallien makes a preamp now, so that might be a consideration. BBE makes a rather inexpensive preamp, the Bmax. The SansAmp RBI gets huge raves around here for versatility. But there's dozens of others. You can check out www.basstasters.com, which has soundclips of many different brands, but your next step is to test drive a few yourself.

6. I'm not too familiar with your speaker cab, but as I understand it it has 2 x 8 inch and 1 x 15 inch speakers in it. How about a high frequency horn? You might be missing that really high end sizzle if you don't have a horn or tweeter.

I just recently bought a OLP MM style 5 string and immediately notice how compressed the sound was. Talking to MM owners and players they said that was part of the sound.

I seem to be turning up the gain on my SWR SM 900 to get a little bit of dirt, which I think helps the aggressive sound of the bass. If I had active EQ I'd crank it and hit the pre-amp tube a little harder for more initial grit. In the end I tend to run my active basses passive for gigs,... just keeps things simple for me and the sound man especially if I'm playing with other bands and other bassists. Just my preference.

Have you looked into overdrives? Perhaps a Sans-amp with just a smidgen of dirt?

7. My pre-amp has a Drive knob on it that can really get it gritty. The cab also has a horn, but I think it is not x-over at the right frequency. It seems buzzy, not bright. The overall cab doesn't have an extreme amount of punch to it, but has great lows. Maybe I need to check in on a 4x10 or 2x10 cab?

8. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    i put my SR5 through an SVT4-Pro....I have tone and power to spare...wish I had better speakers, though (a VERY old Mesa 4x10) and an 15" of undetermined origin

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I use the Single/Phantom coil pickup position 95% of the time because it gives me a clearer tone on the B string and more consistent tone across the other strings.
    Picking or slapping I use Parallel pickup mode.

I run it into a Demeter VTBP-201S with the Bright & Presence Buttons "In", run into a QSC PLX1602 in bridged mode into a Schroeder 410.

I usually use a very little bit bass boost at the SR5 and set the bass control on the Dem at 1:00 to 3:00 (depending on room acoustics). Also, at the SR5, I cut the treble usually about 50% of the available cut and leave the mids flat.
    I use DR Nickle-plated Low-Riders with a .135 'B' string.

The sound is very tight, solid, & punchy with some aggressiveness in the mid-bass up through the lower midrange.

If I want a slight bit of OD type edge, I push the bass turnover button "In" (120Hz) and boost the mids a bit more.

10. I'm using the same cab with a 70s SVT with my SR5....Juicy!!!

:D

The Berg NV-series boxes do quite nicely with the B string, if anyone wants to know....;)