1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Amp with Berg AE410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Aguilar DB750

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Markbass LMII

26 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Carvin B1500

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Mesa M6 Carbine

10 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Mesa Walkabout

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. GK Heads

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  7. Thunderfunk Heads

12 vote(s)
    10.4%
  8. Fender Heads

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  9. SWR Heads

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  10. not mentioned please comment

18 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    You knew somebody had to start a thread like this...

So, what is your top pick amp for your AE410 ??

I've got an LMII and B1500 right now and both sound very good. Not sure if I want to try some others. It's a great cab!

I've done some pm'ing and got feedback on some top picks like the LMII, F-1, DB750, M6 Carbine.

If you care to comment please do.
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: I added a poll because I never did that before...

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I really like my LMII and don't have much amp gas these days, but of course as you probably know I'm never happy with anything about my tone even though it probably sounds just fine. ;)

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Big String, if you don't mind me asking, how are you eq'ing the LMII to get a tone you like out of the AE410?

4. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    SD800.

5. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    b1500 and the thunderfunk were my two fav's with that cab

6. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Just bought the AE-4x10 and the LM11 together, and it's all I've been able to use so far. I have an old Trace Elliot, but when I connected it to the AE for a spin, bad stuff happened. Something you might expect from a blown tweeter etc. It crackles badly, especially when I play a C on the A string, due to what I assume is a frequency issue, beyond the Trace being apparently ill. Need to have it checked out. So far so good otherwise. I first played my Fender P through them and then a Sadowski. Definitely have to spin the knobs more when playing an active bass with this set up. (My Rane DC-24 helps).

7. J Schroder

J Schroder

Feb 24, 2008
    St Paul MN
    I've only tried two heads with mine. One was a GK 700RB-II which was great, but I'm really digging my recently refurbished SM-400s ... :bag:

John

8. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana

Thanks to all the responses keep'em coming.

Tony. So far I have very limited time with the LMII/AE410.
    I started out flat as always. VLE/VPF around 8:00.
    I added a touch of low mid and high mid, cut back a bit on the treble. I play a Sadowsky active 4 and usually add some bass (very sensitive but really beefs up the total tone package) My AE410 attenuator is around 9:00. The AE410 really responds to suttle changes in eq with my bass or amp.

The B1500 is very clean but it has waaaay more headroom than the LMII. It sounds pretty massive. Next bar gig 10-4-08 were I will be definately cranking a lot more. Bringing my longest cable...

9. Glockenklang Heart Rock 1000. Warm,tight, full, quick and really doesn't get in the way of my AE410. That's they way I like it.

10. My F1/AE410 has become my primary gigging rig at this point. The LMII sounds pretty similar to the F1, but I've found the F1 punches the cab even more and brings out that upper mid grind that sounds so good with a J bass. I pretty much run the F1 flat, dialing out just a touch of upper mids, and in some rooms, dialing in just a touch of VPF. It's about as tight, punchy and articulate as anything I've ever owned.

I would guess this voicing would be a little much for some, and the LMII gets you 85% there with a little more fatness and warmth.

Wonderful combination!

11. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Note: I meant to include the Genz Benz GBE1200 as I know it's a great amp. Also the the other GB amps too.
    I was not able to edit the Poll. :meh:

12. I've been using a WW Ultra with the AE410 and couldn't be happier. It's portable and have had heaps of great comments about my sound. No one said anything when i was using the IP112 stack. Have only recently picked up the WW as I play upright and electric and need 2 channels, although i have swapped out some of the opamps in the WW, the ones in there were a little harsh to my ears.

13. +1 My buddy Joel from the Groove Shoppe thinks the AE410 is the best match so far for the WW for EB. I had sold my Walter prior to getting my AE410, so wasn't able to try it, but I bet that combination is killer.

14. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    I had a WWU too but sold it. Great amp though for doublers which I am not.

That new Mesa M6 has peaked my interest some but the flat setting doesn't sound like it's the best for my taste being low mid scooped and upper mid bumped. I guess the eq is really nice though.

I'm actually not hearing the AE410 upper midrange focus as many do. The cab sounds very even to me so far. Maybe more break in is needed.

I would love another DB750 but the reason I sold my last one was this amp is so cab specific and it sat in my closet most of the time with all my cab try-outs.

15. I didn't notice any change in tone on this cab due to break-in. It sounded pretty constant from day one.

There does seem to be an overlap on the upper range of the drivers and the crossover point. I hear a lot of 1K in that cab, which is very easy to dial out with the upper mid control of the LMII or F1. However, if you dial in a lot of low end with your EQ, that has a similar impact as rolling the upper mids back a bit. You really notice it with new roundwounds if you slap. There is a big of that upper mid 'gank' in the voicing of the cab, but again, it's easy to soften. For grindy fingerstyle tone, it's amazing!

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have to say that my DB750 through my AE410 is my favorite rig ever! This paring just roars! :D

IMO, they just compliment each other so well. I no longer have amp/cabinet GAS.

I bought my DB750 after I got my AE410, so I have not had the opportunity to pair the DB750 with other cabinets. I know some find the bottom end of the DB to be somewhat loose or wooly. I really don't hear that using this combination. I suspect the AE's low end "tightness" has some effect on the DB's low end.

Cheers,
    Kevin

17. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    Read my sig :)

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've been using a Genz Shuttle 6 head with my AE410.

A fellow TBer was kind enough to drop off his LMII so I could try it more extensively with the AE410. So far, I love the kick of the LMII, which really packs a whallop, but I think I like the overall tone of the Shuttle better, though at times I worry about running low on headroom for the largest venues.

I tried a DB750 once with it at a GTG, and it was devastating. At one point we ran two AE410s off the DB750, and we were barely able to get it going without compromising the structural integrity of the room.

I'm hoping to try out a Carbine with it at some point in a store, as I am really interested in how the Carbine would match up.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the B1500, too. What a deal!

19. That's the way I heard it when I tried them at Club Bass.

20. Big String

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Bart, the B1500 sounds good w/AE410 but haven't gigged it yet. Definately way more headroom than the LMII. I imagine it similar to the DB750's output but a different tone vibe. I wish I could a/b them...