Favorite Bass Album/songs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Unfaded, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Unfaded

Dec 29, 2003
    Centerton, AR
    I was wondering, what are some awesome cd's to go get for hearing amazing bass playing. I guess, what are some of your favorites? I'm kinda new to bass/music, so I'm wanting to learn as much as I can and hear amazing stuff. I've been playing off and on for about 3 years and I'm in a band, so I know the technique and the basics, but that's about it. I'm wanting to really advance in bass. SO, again, what are your favorite bass songs/albums?

Mods: If you think this should go somewhere else, please put it there. I wasn't sure if i should put this hear or bassist, or something like that. :p
  2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Jamiroquai - Emergency On Planet Earth

Jamiroquai - The Return Of The Space Cowboy

Incredible bass throughout both of these albums. Go learn 'em. Now!
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    fIREHOSE "Ragin Full-on" feat: our own Mr. Mike Watt changed my life one drunken day in the mid-late 80s

as of recent times what I listen to bass wise mostly is:

All of Peter Gabriel's stuff ("So", "Us", "SecretWorld Live" and the latest... "Up" stand out)
    both Liquid Tension Experiment discs (basically Dream Theater minus bass and (thankfully) vocals with Tony Levin bass and sticking... it's as Prog as I get)
    Sarah Mclachlan's library is about perfect bass & drum wise IMHO

Medeski, Martin and Wood http://www.mmw.net are always queued up. "Uninvisible" is a must own.

I also dig the crap out of (all) Soul Coughing, (all) Lenny Kravitz, (all) Beck and (early) Cake bass wise.

I had Jamiroquai on earlier... everyone digs Stu... but damn is "Black Capricorn Day" & "Supersonic" from Synkronized infectious :bassist:
  4. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Mudvayne - L.D. 50

About every song on it has a really cool bassline. My favorite song from it is severed.
  5. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Surely you must mention Powerslave here.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Babylon By Bus" by Bob Marley is a great one.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Michael Manring's "Unusual Weather" is a really cool album to listen to. Very musical and relaxing. Sounds very Michael Hedges like. I like it because it achieves great musical intensity without relying exclusively on speed and volume.

Jaco's self-titled first album is the best introduction to Jaco Pastorius you can get. I'd avoid Word of Mouth as a first album. "Crisis" is not the best introduction to Jaco, as I learned firsthand.

XTC's Oranges and Lemons has some amazingly well crafted basslines in some very catchy tunes.