Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Bass Company

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Fender

329 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Warwick

176 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Spector

82 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Alembic

49 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. Musicman

124 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. G&L

51 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Pedulla

35 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Zon

30 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. Lakland

70 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Sadowsky

47 vote(s)
    3.3%
  11. Conklin

19 vote(s)
    1.3%
  12. None of the above

336 vote(s)
    23.8%
  13. Rickenbacker

62 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Attention moderators: I want to make a poll for this kind of thread to partially eliminate the need to read every reply. If you could, please combine this thread with "Best Bass Brand". Thanks a lot. [​IMG]

So, whaddya like. I realize I can't fit everything so i'll just pick my top ten. Please don't criticize but just post a reply with the company you like.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no conklin? bad bad bad!

3. Well, ifigured that wouldn't get too many votes(no offense) b/c not many people own them. But like I said you can do a write in vote.

4. Sorry John, but I would rather have a sadowsky then a conklin, unless you offer me your doubleneck, hehe

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    No Gibson, no Mike Lull, no Epiphone (the OLD ones, guys, not the newer RI's)? I'm hurt. At least G&L is up there.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i have to admit, i was torn between voting for fender and sadowski....i love fenders, and sadowsky....but i had to vote for fender cos i dont yet own a sadowsky.... *sigh* someday tho i hope

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that Mike Tobias is a big ommission as one of the best bass-makers ever - his position as one of the biggest influences on bass manufacture is surely unassailable?

I think that this type of categorisation is probably meaningless anyway- you have to look at individual basses. For example : the Ibanez Musician was a great bass and gets into a lot of people's all-time top 10; but you'd have to pay me to play most of the current crop of Ibanez production models!

Similarly, while I would be happy to play a top-of-the-range US Spector, I have tried the Korean and Czech models and don't like them at all. I have tried several recent Tobias basses which to me were very poor - especially the "Pro" range. But my pre-Gibson Tobias is the best bass I've ever played.

So I don't think it's possible for me to give a favourite or best brand - it depends on the individual instrument.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Further to the above on ommission, I could probably do a top 10 of brands that haven't been included :

Yamaha
    Tobias
    MTD
    Warrior
    Sei
    Dingwall
    Steinbeger
    Mike Lull
    Wal
    Westone

I had a Westone Thunder III active with ebony board that got the best fretless tone I've ever mnaged!

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Bruce already expressed my thoughts....so I will only add....

Schecter
    Electra

and....will the polls never end???...:)

10. I Play fender J basses.

I LOVE Stingrays.

Someday *sigh*

FF

11. Bruce Lindfield

I figure that if I complain and moan enough about every poll that comes out, people might get the idea and stop doing them. ;) They were a novelty at first, but are now getting a bit dull.

12. Let the Conklin voting begin! :D

As far as the polls in general, some are OK and others useless, but they're available right now so people are gonna use them. At least there's an icon on the topics page that can help you steer clear if you don't want to see them!

BTW, I'll say Alembic. Was that up there? ;)

13. From what I’ve owned its got to be Sadowsky, although I have never played a Zon, Alembic or Conklin.

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm pretty happy with my Carvin.

15. Wait you can make it so there are more than 10 options. If you can add any amount you want then why not add Bruce's to the list plus anything else you can think of. Just a thought

16. I demand that the poll be redone to include Epiphone, and the overlooked Jack Casady bass, or
    I will write my congressman!

Wait a minute, who is my congressman?

Mike J.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I'm going to say Pedulla, I've tried other basses, some models I like, some I dispise, but overall, the Pedullas have had the most consistent feeling basses. By that I mean I've tried a bunch and all feel very good. Some perfect, some not, but none that I haven't immidiatly liked. Unlike Musicman, Warwick, ect.

18. Bruce Lindfield

How come there's another poll on this exact same subject - with similar omissions!! Is this going to happen every few days?

It's starting to feel like everybody around here has got the memory of a goldfish....hmmmm- haven't had a poll for over an hour now - must do another one! ;)

I thnk we should vote to ban polls now! :mad:

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    All things considered, there's really nothing like a Fender, especially a vintage one. I sure do like Roscoe and Alembic, though.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Bruce, maybe you should post a poll on whether we should eliminate polls in Off Topic and Miscellaneous.