Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite bass-less recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Tbeers, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I know we all love bass, but what are some of your favorite recordings with no DB in them that don't seem to lack anything?

Tonight I was listening to a recording of Chick Corea and Gary Burton playing a tune called "Bud Powell." (Yes that's the name of the song) I think the album is from a live performance in Zurich in 1979. All of a sudden I thought to myself, hey this has no bassist but it's absolutely perfect!

If this needs to be moved to a different forum, then by all means... I just didn't know where to put it (being the ignoramus that I am).

:)

2. Probably the Joshua Redman Elastic band is the coolest out there, in my opinion. Also I have this bootleg of a Chris Potter show without a bassist and it is SOOO sweet.

3. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    Colorado
    paul motian trio "it should have happened a long time ago", dave douglas tiny bell trio "live in europe" or "songs for wandering souls", dewey redman and ed blackwell "red and black in willisau(sp?)".

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw a trio of Kenny Wheeler (trumpet flugel), Stan Sulzmann (Sax Flute) and John Paricelli (guitar) at my local Jazz club which was one of the best gigs I've attended - they have since made a CD of this material called "Ordesa" ..

http://www.stansulzmann.co.uk/ordesa2.htm

I think the difference was that without a "traditional" rhythm section you could really hear the sonorities of the horns and the beauty of the sound they were making - there were also intriguing loops from Paricelli that in no way sounded electronic, but rather organic, acoustic and evolving....:)

5. Both Bill Evans/ Jim Hall sessions.
    Good thread idea T!

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Paul Motian trio "I have the Room Above Her" and "You took the words right out of my heart"
    Don Cherry and Ed Blackwell "Mu 1 & 2"

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Michael Brecker, Time is of the Essence w/ Larry Goldings and drummers Elvin Jones, Tain Watts & Bill Stewart
    John Abercrombie, Timeless w/ Jan Hammer & Jack DeJohnette
    Brother Jack McDuff, Live! featuring 20-year-old George Benson

8. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    "People Time" - Stan Getz & Kenny Barron

9. Brad Mehldau - Live in Tokyo

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a point - I don't think of them as "bass-less" as the organ pedal lines can often be really swingin'!! ;)

I like Kenny Burrell with Jimmy Smith, but I haven't found a completey satisfying album - any suggestions?

There's also the first album by Tony Williams' Lifetime with John McLaughlin, which was one of the first to really turn me on to Jazz in the 70s! :)

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm with PW - UNDERCURRENT is probably the hippest record of all time.

12. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks all
    :)

This should give me plenty more listening material.

13. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    Piano Short Stories by Donald Brown

Solo in Rio 1959 by Luis Bonfa

14. +2 on the Evans/Hall collaborations. Now let's go back in time, lest we forget the incredible Benny Goodman trio and quartet recordings, with Teddy Wilson, Gene Krupa, and Hamp on the quartets. More recently, any of the Larry Goldings trio discs, some of which are under Peter Bernstein's name. Speaking of organ groups, how about Larry Young's Unity? Wes Montgomery with Mel Rhyne (Boss Guitar is it?)...and with Jimmy Smith (Dynamic Duo)...Many others which don't immediately come to mind.

Bruce - original post: "favorite recodings with no DB in them"

15. Jerry Bergonzi with Dan Wall and Adam Nussbaum....oh yeah.

16. Way to ressurrect on old thread......

One of my favorite *practically* bass-less recordings is the Metheny Mehldau duo stuff off of their first CD

17. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Anything by the Turtle Island String Quartet... absolutely nothin missing there

18. +1

19. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    BassMusicianMagazine.com
    Steve Reich Music for 18 musicians comes to mind. Chris Potter Underground. And as mentioned before the Chick Corea Gary Burton Duets are great. Oh yeah... any Shakti stuff is great too. Friday Night in San Fransisco with DiMeola/De Lucia/McLaughlin is another one. Then of course there is the Ravi Shankar stuff and the paco de lucia stuff sans carles benavante. I am sure i am forgetting some :confused:

20. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll second Dave Douglas Tiny Bell Trio.