Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Bass line?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Jan 9, 2006.

1. So what is your favorite or some of your favorite bass line/riffs/grooves? I have way to many to mention but i am listening to "yyz" by Rush and Geddy has a great bass line on that song. Sorry if their is another thread like this....

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "My Mistake" - Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye.

3. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Since you mentioned Rush, i think The Big Money is an AWESOME bassline.

4. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Show me your soul by the chili peppers has an awsome bass line i think, very groovy and funky, i think thats the chili's at there funkiest

theres alot more but ill see where this topic goes first lol

5. John Entwhistles's work on "Pinball Wizard" (Tommy) and "The Real Me" (Quadrophenia) are in my top 10 for sure, and maybe Billy Cox's (I think it was Billy Cox by that time) riff from "Who Knows" (Band of Gypsies), and absolutely anything that Phil Lesh has ever and will ever lay down.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Green-Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf

MM

7. Freewill from Rush & the live version of Mr. Crowley from the Ozzy EP with Bob Daisley. Also S.A.T.O. from Ozzy has a pretty wild bassline.

8. Indeed! The word "bouncy" comes to mind.
    I'm partial to "Red Barchetta", myself. Geddy has played so many great parts, it's hard to pick just one. Or 20.

9. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
    another Rush bassline that i like....That riff in the beginning of Cygnus X-1 that fades in slowly (it sounds as if it is in an auditorium)...Do you guys know what I am talking about?

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    yeah I love the intro to Cygnus X-1, thats such a cool proggy line!

Since we're all Rush fans here :smug: the track Hemispheres has one of my favorite bass lines ever, Geddy was such a master on that one, I wouldn't want to change a single note!

Roundabout by Yes is another classic line, love that Rick tone, Squire is a god :bassist:

11. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    "Alright", and "Falling" by Jamiroquai are definitely my 2 favs... Stu was funkin' alright :bassist:

12. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Talk Talk: Life's What You Make It
    ...though' it's played on a piano, there's no bass track at all! Still great.

13. MTD Man

MTD Man

Jun 12, 2004
    USA
    "Hot Fun" and "I was in Chains" - Paul Young : The Secret of Association... one word: PINO!

Chris

14. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    aeroplane(rhcp) the way flea moves between the slap parts and the smooth tremolo laden groove so seamless.

christmas rapping by the waitresses has a really cool line too

light as a feather (return to forever)

a few that come to mind

15. tomfouts

tomfouts

Jan 4, 2006
    Boston, MA
  16. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    I dunno

For years it was Orion, and it's still top five, but now I would have to go with Wooten on Sinister Minister or Sex in a Pan.