1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Bass lines NOT played on an actual bass with strings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ROOTSnFIFTHS, Apr 21, 2019.

1. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    Have you ever liked a bass line in a song, decided to take a closer listen to learn it, only to realize a synth or sampling keyboard is playing it?!............

I have many of these and, at first, hesitated to learn to play it. After playing around with one or two, I decided they were too fun to not play.

List 'em if ya got 'em.

I have many but here are a few:
    "no one is to blame" - Howard Jones: A good one to play on your fretless 4 or 5 string.
    "All I want for Christmas is You" - Mariah Carey

2. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Boogie on Reggae Woman

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. "Glad" and "Freedom Rider" from the Traffic's 'John Barleycorn Must Die'. "Empty Pages" features Steve Winwood on bass.
    "Chameleon" from Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters. The bass line is a keyboard and the bass plays the upper register part.
    Stevie Wonder's "Boogie On, Reggae Woman" is obviously done on a synth, but is a great line for the bass.

4. What is John Paul Jones playing on Heartbreaker?

5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA

JimK, gebass6, bassliner50 and 4 others like this.
  6. Always had a thing for a couple of George Benson tunes:

- Give me the Night
    - Turn your Love Around

JimK, Chickenwheels, RyanOh and 6 others like this.
  7. Owl, that Swing Out Sister album is one of my favorite 80's record, including their radio hit "Break Out", that British modern R&B swing is just wonderful.

I once read interviews where Doug Wimbish and Nathan East essentially said that another reason for a five was so they could do / reproduce keyboard bass lines on a real bass guitar. 'Twilight World' lays great on a five and is great fun to play along with. Thanks for reminding me of that great album !

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    +1000, everything on that album is great.

One I like,

10. Wasn't trying to copy you, we were posting simultaneously.

RyanOh likes this.
  11. Don't You Want Me, Baby? - The Human League

Conversely, Graham Maby's bass in Joe Jackson's "Steppin' Out" sounds more like a keyboard.

easyj, Winoman, The Owl and 2 others like this.
  12. He's playing a bass (not sure if it's his jazz, or single coil precision) through a Leslie cabinet.

13. Black Velvet - Alanah Miles

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    +1 on the Howard Jones in the OP...and I’d add Charlie Puth’s “Attention.”

15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    it's actually an old Korg drum machine/sequencer. On the most recent tour they brought that thing out, plugged it in, and tried to recreate the song exactly as it was recorded. Graham played the glockenspiel.

16. Really? I saw them on tv when the song was out and Graham was playing it on a Jazz Bass, so I assumed that was the real deal. You learn something new every day. Thanks for the info.

Fat Freddy likes this.
  17. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Girlfriend is Better

The Model

18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Pretty much most of the smooth jazz sax and horn players. I guess they can't afford real musicians.

The Owl likes this.
  19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Seinfeld Theme