Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Favorite Bass Solo Ever Played

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tard85, May 12, 2002.

1. tard85

tard85

May 5, 2002
    What is your favorite bass solo of all time? It can be during a song, or just a complete solo. My favorite is "Anesthesia - (Pulling Teeth)" by Cliff Burton. That has to be some of the best bass playing I've ever heard. It's creative along with some kick ass effects in there.

2. I love the bass solo in Airplane by RHCP. Its not complicated, just really funky.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I really dig Mark White's solo during Sweet Widow on the Spin Doctor's Home Belly Groove album.

4. Alla

Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Italy
    Havona ..... no other word

5. anything by victor wooten, jaco, michael mannring, steve lawson, or alain caron.

6. :D Areoplane, Victor wooten stuff, and Jaco's Donna Lee and Havona. The Cunning stunts bass and guitar doodle. just because of the chording in it.

7. I really like Geddy Lee's solo form Driven on the Different Stages live album, and also a live solo by victor wooten which i have yet to find the name of is really good too

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it might be "amazing Grace"... i LOVE that one

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Matt Freeman from Rancid...

axiom
    white knuckle ride
    maxwell murder

also the riffs from:
    blacklisted
    i am the one
    just a feeling

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I fail to understand why this is such a cool song to people, but that's cool I guess.

I'd have to go with Jaco, Alain Caron, JEFF BERLIN even. It's all good stuff. I love Portrait of Tracy.

BTW, this isn't really supposed to be in bassists, and not REALLY in recordings, either...so off to miscellaneous. Sorry mods. :D

11. I don't know the fella's name but whoever plays the bass solo in Blues Traveler's "But Anyways" plucked some good notes.

12. That'd be Bobby Sheehan, unfortunatly he died bout 3 years ago of a heroin overdose! he was a great bassist for a great band! also check out his solo's on 'Crash Burn'

As far as bass solo's/songs go, i have to say Richard Bona's 'DINA LAM' is my fave. I urge everyone to give this a listen preferablly the version from 'Later with jools holland', just him playing bass and singing....really is amazing!

*Si*

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm listening to Crash Burn right now! It's sad that he died.:(
    But other cool bass solos are:
    Maxwell Murder, Axiom - Matt Freeman
    Portrait of Tracy, Donna Lee - Jaco
    3 Deuces - Marcus Miller
    And of course more..

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'd have to go with Vic's version of Amazing Grace. The first time I heard it I almost wet myself. Even my drummer loves it.:D

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Mine would have to be

Amazing Grace - Victor Wooten
    Classical Thump - Victor Wooten
    My Greatest Hits - Stanley Clarke (I Wanna Play For You album)
    Panther - Marcus Miller (The Sun Don't Lie)

Peace,

James

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Lemon Song - John Paul Jones

It may not be the greatest, but it's my favorite.

17. NV43345 by Billy Sheehan is cool

Black Arrows by Joey DeMaio (Manowar) has a little zing to it...

Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius

Numerous others......

18. Albemuth

Albemuth

Jan 13, 2002
    any by Vic

19. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ah, I missed richard on Jools, but I did see him play last night with Pat Metheny - what an amazing gig!!!! Richard played bass on a couple of tracks - a trio version of Bright Sized Life and a solo or two on some other stuff, but his singing...!!!! What a remarkable voice. He did a solo where he was looping his voice to track it. amazing stuff...

And talking of solos, Steve Rodby's solo on 'How Insensitive' was stunning - incredible control, gorgeous phrasing, great tone. the man's a bass genius. And NO-ONE else could do that gig the way he does - the blend of support, tone, groove, upright and elec chops, arco playing, and the self control to play those simple lines and only blaze when the track calls for it... man, one seriously inspiring bassist to watch and listen to.... and what's more, one of the coolest and nicest people in the industry. There's an interview with him in the 'bassdotcom' section of my website which is great. he's got a remarkable love for music - last night, after playing a 3hors and 20mins gig, he came of stage and we talked about music for another half hour... if I hadn't had to get home early (had to get the cat to the vets by 8.30 this morning), we'd still be talking now! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My Generation